Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...2006 VN 1500...ignition turnover had been getting sluggish for awhile. Bough and installed new battery. No change...in fact, bike won't turnover at all...very little activity when I try to start it...

Could this be a fuse, or something else? All ideas welcome and appreciated!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Check the main fuse first. Unless you shorted something changing the battery though that is not it as a blown fuse will not cause sluggish cranking. So use a test meter working form the starter wires back to the battery. I am assuming you checked and the new battery is good. New is not always good; sometimes they are internally faulted from the factory.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
also verify your battery connections, sometimes they have a high resistance even if thet look good

·
Once I had $$ now a bike
115 Posts
Highley recomend charging the new battery, most new ones do not come with a full charge.

Then start looking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery was dry and the shop had to fill it and charge it. They claimed they charged it to 18 (amps ?). So..for the moment, I'll assume that they charged it properly. The symptom is the same as before replacing the battery...so either the new battery is no good OR, there's something else.

Buck55 - I thought that a fuse either worked or didn't work...not that there was an in between? But...if it's just a fuse, great! There's a fuse that 'lays' across the battery...it has a spare as well. Is that the fuse that I should swap out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running lights come on bright. Fuel pump cycle...not sure...I'll say that all looks and sounds normal...except for the sluggish starting.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Fuel pump...when you turn on key, you will hear a motor running down by the fuel tank for 2-3 seconds and then it shuts off.

Post back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll verify tonight...but I'm 99% sure that it's making the same startup sounds. I didn't realize that was the fuel pump that was running. It makes a small sound for a few seconds and goes away. Again..pretty sure it's there...but will double check.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
I have my money on a loose or corroded cable from the starter relay down to the starter. Clean all your cables ends, both hot and ground side. Another quick and dirty test would be to put on safety glasses, take a screwdriver, and bridge it between the two large cable connections on the starter relay. If the engine cranks over fine, then you may have bad contacts on the starter relay. If it is still sluggish, time to break out the meter and start testing. It could be a bad cable, or worst case the starter has either bad bearings or bad brushes.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The battery was dry and the shop had to fill it and charge it. They claimed they charged it to 18 (amps ?). So..for the moment, I'll assume that they charged it properly. The symptom is the same as before replacing the battery...so either the new battery is no good OR, there's something else.

Buck55 - I thought that a fuse either worked or didn't work...not that there was an in between? But...if it's just a fuse, great! There's a fuse that 'lays' across the battery...it has a spare as well. Is that the fuse that I should swap out?
Yes sir you would sure be right that a fuse is either blown or not, but your first post said it was sluggish before the battery change and not turning over after. Some use the terms turning over and cranking to mean different things; no telling what you mean, but failing to turn over to me means the starter will not cause the engine to spin the crankshaft.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The fact you are still having some electrical functions in the bike indicate it is not the main fuse so forget that. Use a multimeter to see if you are getting 12.5 or so volts to the starter. If you are it may well be a bad starter.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
It couldn't hurt to throw a battery charger on it for a few hours-- maybe the shop didn't actually charge it, just mixed it and put it in. If you have a charger on hand, that is. Worst case it doesn't help, best case it starts and you're golden.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good feedback.
1) To make it in my simple terms...I push the starter button, it makes a sluggish noise. That was before and after the new battery replacement. No real difference with the new battery.
2) Mileage - about 6700 miles.

Any ballpark on cost to replace Starter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
935 Posts
i would check all the cables first, make sure they are all connected properly before I start thinking about replacing the starter. charge the batter off the bike while you are checking the cables, then try it again. If it doesn't work take the battery back and have them check to see if it is good or bad. If the battery is good at that point then you might start looking at other components, (the starter). I'm no mechanic but I would eliminate the simple stuff first.

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
Good feedback.
1) To make it in my simple terms...I push the starter button, it makes a sluggish noise. That was before and after the new battery replacement. No real difference with the new battery.

Thanks!
6700M that seems low for a shot starter but stranger thing have happened ..disconect the neg terminal on the battery and try cleaning up the conections on the starter itself ..pull them off and wire brush them . Especially the ground !! If you have a weak/bad ground you will not get full amperage through the starter .

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Good feedback.

Thanks!
Do not buy a starter just yet.
Much troubleshooting to be done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts