Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm working on a coworker's bike and I am desparate for help. It's a 1999 Vulcan 1500 Classic and it's leaking oil from the top of the rear cylinder. Easy fix, right? Wrong. I've got pretty much the whole thing torn apart, to drop the motor, with the exception of where the drive shaft bolts up to the engine. How is this removed and are there special tool required? I've searched and searched these forums and I can't see where this has been addressed before. Also, once the motor is removed, is there anything that I should be looking for or addressing while the motor's out? Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
There is a small pin that has to be pushed in to remove the shaft. Rotate shaft until it is visible, use small pick or nail, push in, pull off shaft. Samie, same to reinstall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a small pin that has to be pushed in to remove the shaft. Rotate shaft until it is visible, use small pick or nail, push in, pull off shaft. Samie, same to reinstall.

Thank you for the reponse. So, do I just peel back the rubber boot or do I need to unbolt the four socket head bolts that are holding on, what appears to be, the bearing retainer?

Thanks

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
If I remember, that pin has a spring behind it and will shoot across the room if your not ready!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody know if there is a right up on the process of removing the engine? I know the standard response is "Buy a manual" but I'm not willing to buy a book for a bike that isn't mine. I've searched and I've searched but I can't find the info that I need.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a right up on the process of removing the engine? I know the standard response is "Buy a manual" but I'm not willing to buy a book for a bike that isn't mine. I've searched and I've searched but I can't find the info that I need.
If you are doing the work for free.....then he should buy the manual. Standard procedure for me in removing the motor................remove the rear wheel. Unbolt the final drive case from the swingarm. Remove the swing arm. Peel back the boot and push in the pin and remove the driveshaft. Remove the tank, seat, all that crap. From here it is pretty straight forward. Nice to have someone holding the bike when you remove the motor. Oil filter gets in the way when it comes out on my bike, so removing that will help.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
The pin is located under the boot. It is really easy once you see it. It sure as he** won't come off any other way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi gents,

can anyone help me with the PN of the little pin and spring from driveshaft connection?
Been looking over and I just can’t find it.
Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts