Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please tell me this thing is not going to cost me $235 bucks to replace.

If it is not, please tell me where you got yours. I just went down into the garage and the charger light was blinking. Checked it out and the battery is bad and I have to replace it.

If it is $235 bucks talk about a ****ing scam! The battery went in my old ZX-12R and it was only 80 bucks to replace.

WTF!

·
The Iron Monkey
349 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK Cool, yeah I have been looking at local sites and I'm seeing them for about $125. I was about to flip....lol

the YUASA does it have a differnet part number compared to the FTZ16-BS 0.89L that is currently in the bike?

The YUASA site isn't being much help when I look for a VN1600A or under 2005 Vulcan 1600 classic.

·
The Iron Monkey
349 Posts
Really don't know,. I put it in there the day I got the bike (used, the battery was weak, so I just changed). Mine was an 03 classic FI, so it should match yours, but I don't have the part no. Let me check the local shop web site (were I got it), maybe I see it there.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Last year I got a YUASA for my 1500, at the dealer it was 79+tax....just ordered one for the kids 650, same brand same dealer....it was.......surprise, 79+tax....works for me

Last year for mine he had a cheaper one for 65, but said he wasn't impressed by it......

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just replaced my battery a couple of months ago. Got a Yuasa from J&P Cycles - this battery is not cheap, but much better than the dealer doing the work...$145 including shipping.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Do you have a Batteries Plus in your area? Though, I think you could order online also, but not sure. I bought my battery from them, as they are local, for $75. In fact, I purchased all my vehicle batteries from them. Their batteries last a very long time and I've never had a problem with them.

Currently, they are having a sale on motorcycle batteries.

Batteries Plus battery store - All your battery needs for Laptop, camera, cell phone, camcorder, SLA, batteries recycling and much more

Here is a list of BPs in your area. Battery Stores in Pennsylvania - Batteries Plus

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Please tell me this thing is not going to cost me $235 bucks to replace.

If it is not, please tell me where you got yours. I just went down into the garage and the charger light was blinking. Checked it out and the battery is bad and I have to replace it.

If it is $235 bucks talk about a ****ing scam! The battery went in my old ZX-12R and it was only 80 bucks to replace.

WTF!
Dealers = pay more...spend it if you have it. LOL
You have a computer, get online and do a little homework or follow some of the links others have provided and save yourself some money.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the links. That Battery plus store is right in the town I'm a fire fighter. I remember just seeing it the other day. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Now back to the Battery, it seems most of you are just going and saying "I need a battery for XX" and they are giving it. My understanding is there are multiple ratings on a few batteries that will fit. The FTZ16-BS is a 12v 18AH battery. I can't seem to find an exact match on the YUASA site. The one I did find said it was a 12v and 14AH.

I'm just newer dealing with motorcycle charging systems so I'm just trying to make sure I get the right thing, understand the differences in the batteries and how the effect the bike, and acceptable alternatives like a gel cell or dry cell if able without damaging the charging system.

You know anything different from the mother Kawa book that says "it must be this".

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See this is what I'm talking about.

I went to the Battery Plus site.

example.

For a VN1600-A

Item number: XTAX16-BS
Weight: 13.2500 lbs
Voltage: 12V
Capacity: 14AH
CCA: 230
Price: 79.99

Item number: XTAX20CH-BS
Weight: 11.8300 lbs
Voltage: 12V
Capacity: 18AH
CCA: 270
Price: 89.99

That capacity number on the first one is only 14AH and the stock battery is 18AH. The second one has the 18AH. What the hell is the difference and how will it affect the bike.

Also they carry that Oydessy Dry cell battery but according to the manual you can't use a dry cell from what I'm reading.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
It's the Amp hour rating, the battery will discharge at 14 Amps per hour on the first battery and 18 Amps an hour on the second.

If you have the money, go for the higher discharge rated battery.Also have your bike's charging system looked at. It under or over charging the battery.

·
The Iron Monkey
349 Posts
The other diff between those is the CCA : Cold Cranking Amps. The higher, the better, if cold weather starts are an issue. Since I live in Miami, is not a big concern down here. For $10, I would get the better one.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I'll probably just get the better one.

As for the charging system, that is not the issue. The battery has been on a battery tender since Mid October and the bike in storage mode. I had no issues last year with it. This year has been an absolute ***** with the weather cold and snow wise. SO I think either A) The tender is bad B) The battery was just going bad anyway.

I have stored batteries like this in both cars and bikes with no issues. The battery tender is almost 8 years old, so that may be the cluprit. I'm wandering if with the power outages we have had it did something to the tender, or the battery.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
How old was the battery? I had an 05 bike, never put it on a tender, rode it maybe once a month over the winters, and the battery never died. I haven't put my 08 1600 or the 07 1500 on a tender either. My wife didn't ride her bike since maybe early December, it started right up this weekend for her.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan,

I don't know how old the battery is. It is either 5 years old or 3 years old. I bought the bike brand new in 2007 as a left over. So if they didn;t put a battery in till then it is 3 years old. If they put the battery in as soon as it went on the showroom floor then it is 5 years old and sat on the floor till I bought it. I'm not sure how dealerships work that kind of thing.

As for buying a new battery it seems I have to charge it up first after adding the electrolytes and such. Any recommendations on a basic charger that will do the job. I have been seeing price ranges from $50 to $300? Yet it seems that some batteries like the ones at Batteries Plus come ready to go.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just to let you guys know, I ended up ordering a battery. I got a Yuasa through a local shop I deal with all the time. M&M Leather in Greensburg, PA. I got the YTX20CH-BS, same dementions of the stock battery, 12V 18AH, 270 CCA Listed at $79.99 through Parts Unlimited. My price out the door $67.84 after tax.

I should have just called them to begin with. I have spend over $5000 at that place since October 2007 on various parts, jackets and helmets and I have always gotten 20% or more off listed prices.

Only thing I need to do is get a Charger for the inital charge. If anyone has any recomendations it would be helpful.

Here are the specs on the Battery.

ACID INCLUDED: Yes
BATTERY TYPE CHEMISTRY: AGM Maintenance Free
C.C.A.: 270
CAPACITY AH: 18
DIMENSIONS: L - 6" (150mm) W - 3 7/16" (87mm) H - 6 3/8" (161mm)
MAXIMUM CHARGE RATE: 1.8
TERMINAL CONFIGURATION: Pos (left front) Neg (right front)
VOLTAGE: 12
WEIGHT: 11.0 lbs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts