Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 500+ mile freeway trip on Sunday on my VN1600, 3 months old, 2400 miles at start of trip. I have made no mods (yet) to the air, exhaust, or EFI. At about 400 miles the bike started sounding funny. On deceleration and gear change the bike would backfire. It had never done this before. The muffler was also ratting some. I din’t let is stop me. I just went on to the hotel in St Pete.

On Monday morning I started looking for a shop to take the bike to and found one on Kawasaki’s dealer finder web site only 11 min doe the hotel.

I don’t know the fate yet, seems that at least I have an exhaust leak where the exhaust attaches to the rear cylinder. There must be more and I don’t really know what caused this. I got the bike to the shop by 10:00AM but they didn’t get to it today. I hope to know more tomorrow.

I need to leave on Wednesday, so I hope it is finished by then. I’ll let you know what I find out.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
GOOD LUCK but ya gotta remember your riding a bit ol vibrator. more than likely the bolts loosen up and have now burned the gasket. might have just needed to tighten the nuts as the head and you would have been fine. :?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Qkenuf4u,
You don't know how close you are to the truth. Seems the gaskets (both of them) did start to leak. The best we could determine was that the shop that performed the recall service on the muffler mounts did not replace the gaskets. The shop down here replaced the gaskets and it runs like it always did now, all covered by warranty. I wish I could go ahead and replace the exhaust, but I want to do the exhaust and air at the same time and the budget is dry for now. I did go haead and get a full service, oil, plugs, inspection, the works. 171.65. That hurts.

The GA shop where I bought my bike has made several mistakes now and will NOT get another chance. I will find another shop for the major thing. All the future oils and plug changes wil be done by me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bulldog said:
....performed the recall service on the muffler mounts did not replace the gaskets.

Bulldog, was unaware of recall on 2004 Vulcan 1600 Classic. Were you notified by dealer or what?

Please let me know, I have only 300 miles and I downshifted yesterday with a backfire!? Let me know! Boss Hawg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kawasaki sent me a notice in July about 3 weeks after I purchased the bike. Also the dealer let me know when i took it back in for the 600 mi service. It seems that there is a mounting bracket that will allow the exhaust to move too much so there is a replacement. The kit was on backorder and I had to take it back after the 600 mi service to get this done separately. You should check with any Kawasaki service dept and they will let you know if your bike needs it. You may need your VIN for them to verify. It may not impact you bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts