Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a military member currently deployed to the Middle-east 8) and the Harley Military Overseas Sales Program rekindled an old flame. I haven't ridden since the early 80's, but I got the itch, big time. I was sold on the 04 Sportster until I started researching the competition and now I've got information overload, and probably convinced myself not to go with the Harley, even though I can get an incredible deal thru the program. I'm home in July for 2 weeks and will check all out first-hand, but wanted your inputs. I'll ride for recreation and maybe commute 90 mile round-trip (up the life insurance, convince the wife :wink: ). I'm leaning heavily toward the Kawa based upon the research, followed by the VTX 1800 (probably too much $$$) and then the Road Star. Which way should I go, and why do you think so?

·
Registered
11 Posts
First, and most importantly- THANK YOU for serving in the military. You are the heros of this generation.

Now- I just bought a new Vulcan 1600 and made the same analysis as you- with the same results. I placed them in the same order with the exception of the Sportster- just too small. I have loved the 1600. One thing to consider through- there are currently a lot more after-market accessories available for the 1800 and Roadstar. I decided that I didn't want to ride a bike just like everyone elses. You will not be disappointed with the Vulcan.

Thanks again for your service.

US Navy 1979-1981

·
Registered
272 Posts
I almost got a Harley twice using the dealers overseas. Both time's I talked myself out of it & once ended up with a 92 Bronco from Ford Military sales.

I'm with David in that of the "big 3" the Kawasaki is IMHO the best. You just can't go wrong with a Kawasaki :p

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

you asked for it :lol:

sportster- fun as all get out, old school design even with the rubber mounted
motor now,a little rough on long trips,best value for a harley(1200 only)
i love mine for a certain kind of riding but not a daily driver-great toy

vtx 1800-gas hog,too top heavy,fast as he!!,but mostly it begins with H :lol:

road star- very sweet bike but sorry its harley with a metric nameplate
push rods,belt drive, yadda yadda

kawi 1600 - best value imo, very low maintence(shaft,water cooled,cast
wheels,hydraulic clutch,f/i)excellant road bike,well balanced

tough choices-i like all of them but i choose kawi for reliability mostly

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I will place my vote on the Kawasaki. I'd've bought one except I got a MUCH better deal on the 1500. Less money, more bike, doesn't take a genious to call this one.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I looked at those same bikes (Fat Boy rather than Sportster) and also road a couple of Victory's.

I say ride 'em all and see which one grabs you. Bikes are such an emotional thing - I think that looking at spec's, analysing how you will use it, etc. are all good to get a list of what to ride and what not to - but then you've got to go with the "seat of your pants"!!!

I'd ride the Vulcan, then a Harley, then the Vulcan. Harley is now out. Then I'd ride a Victory, then the Vulcan, now the Victory is out. I just when down the list and in the end it was the Vulcan!! I've never looked back.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you can get a good deal on the Harley, go for it. It has a hell of a lot
better resale value than the Vulcan or any other metric bike. I like my
Vulcan but when it comes time to sell, it aint worth a crap. Go for the
big Harley, like a FLHTC OR FLHTCUI. Take care of yourself and and thanks for the job you are doing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was just looking at a friend's new Road Star Silverado yesterday. I'm still drooling. It's a very nice bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
omega5 said:
From one Vet to another, THANKS.
Here's a pic of my 04 1600. Can't speak for the other bikes, but I love this one.
Very nice bike indeed, I can see why you love it! 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Paco said:
better resale value than the Vulcan or any other metric bike.
That's what I was thinking.... take it a step farther and buy at least two HD's :roll: , sell them :wink: and get a sweet running, sweet looking Kaw.....
Oh, yeah, thanks a bunch for your service, dude.

·
Registered
137 Posts
x-wing said:
Paco said:
better resale value than the Vulcan or any other metric bike.
That's what I was thinking.... take it a step farther and buy at least two HD's :roll: , sell them :wink: and get a sweet running, sweet looking Kaw.....
Oh, yeah, thanks a bunch for your service, dude.
And beside, the HD and the Roadie are both air cooled, and IMHO, liquid cooling beats them hands down if you're looking for longevity. As far as the VTX is concerned, appearance gives the Kaw a huge advantage. (I'm really not trying to pick on HD's..... Standard disclaimers apply) :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts