Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning the Nomad 1600 spark knock. --- Kawasaki states 95 octane minimum - tag under your seat. 95 is hard to find, 91 is what we have. I would like to indorse the PowerCommander V spark-knock fix-comments, and thank you all who have made them. A Baron V95 intake system was also installed. The stock pipes give good power and have an improved sound, they will stay. My Nomad has come alive. Ride Safe

·
Registered
85 Posts
95 is research octane # (or mechanical..cant remember which) the 91 is research + mechanical divided by two. R+M/2 at least it is down here.

FWIW, my 04 Nomad pinged terribly even on premium, after doing some research, I went with one heat range colder spark plugs, pretty much eliminated it. research showed the older Nomads came with the colder plugs, I couldn't find any changes that should have required a hotter plug. If the colder plug helps, then the hotter plug tip was causing it... Probably should have went 2 ranges colder. The oem plugs that came out were the blistered white look of too hot a plug instead of a normal tan color.

I also had to use throttle body/intake spray cleaner regularly. back side of throttle butterflys would be black, even before the plug change..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95 is research octane # (or mechanical..cant remember which) the 91 is research + mechanical divided by two. R+M/2 at least it is down here.

FWIW, my 04 Nomad pinged terribly even on premium, after doing some research, I went with one heat range colder spark plugs, pretty much eliminated it. research showed the older Nomads came with the colder plugs, I couldn't find any changes that should have required a hotter plug. If the colder plug helps, then the hotter plug tip was causing it... Probably should have went 2 ranges colder. The oem plugs that came out were the blistered white look of too hot a plug instead of a normal tan color.

I also had to use throttle body/intake spray cleaner regularly. back side of throttle butterflys would be black, even before the plug change..
Thanks for your reply, interesting, glad a plug change is working for you. Are you using an NGK DPR7EA9 ? With stock NGK DPR6EA9 the PowerCommander keeps my burn correct. The Baron V95 BigAirKit (DennisKirk) allows my 08 Nomad to breath better. L side becomes bare cylinders, R side gets a K&N and there is a lot less plumbing involved. They work well together, not hard to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I sold the Nomad a while back, got too big and heavy. Have a Versys 1000 now along with an 1100 Shadow Ace Tourer.

I believe it was a 7 I went to, have to look them up to tell for sure. Back then Gas was heading towards $4/gal, I was not too wild about adding a power commander to throw extra fuel in to cool the combustion chamber,,, Took it and had a dyno run done in stock trim, fuel curve was almost flat, Mixture was pretty much perfect all the way up. That convinced me to look elsewhere. Had it done at a Harley dealer one saturday, they were having a special and doing them for something like $50 iirc, the techs just shook their heads and one said, We've never seen a curve that flat. My buddies' Victory curve looked more like a mountain range,,, https://www.vroc.org/member/t/26766489346604f63d77d7.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thought through. I'm thinking that I might try your 1 cooler plug, just to see what it does to my engine? Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts