Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VN2000 hits the rev-limiter in first gear at 37 mph on the bike's speedo(probably a true 32 mph) That seems so soon to me and often catches me by surprise. Can someone tell me ay what speed their 2000 hits the limiter or if they know how to calculate it or where to get the info? My dealer has been of no help. I need to decide if I have a problem with a sensor or not.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I had heard that the Vn2000 hits the rev limiter around 40 mph in first. The rev limiter set in at 5000 rpm I beleive.

Phatty

·
Registered
3 Posts
rev-limiter

Next time I'm on mine which might be awhile the weather starting to change here . I'll try to remember to pay attention usally though I'm just a shifting and a twisting - you know what I mean

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ill put money on it that YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM, getting to test ride these big twins when at work showed me what kinda REDLINE they have and its very low. 40mph sounds about right from what ive seen. :roll:

·
Registered
487 Posts
stole this from another forum
this guy is a motorcycle mechanic.

"Well, here's the deal; with the LONG stroke we have, piston speed is a critcal factor. If you increase the rpm limit piston speed will greatly increase. That's a lot to ask for a crankshaft and rod bearings to stop a huge rotating assembly, that traveled that long distance and picked up that much speed; to send it off in the other direction. Plus, my experiences with dyno testing tell me the HP drops off after 4800 anyway. (even less rpm with my DG's) Now, eventually someone may come up with a pipe that flows on the top end better, and we may get up to about 115 hp with stock internals; but after that there'll have to be a cam change, and once again there's the piston speed to contend with. From what I'm learning about this bike, it'll go faster using the torque band than it will using a horsepower curve. But, this is still a new field because no one's ever gone inside one of these yet; so I could be wrong."

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

man :shock: this dude is right on target imo

i too think that torque numbers are what to tune for on the big kawi vtwins
these motors just are not receptive to bolt on horsepower of a serious nature
some of these bikes are getting close to 100ftlb of tq - tune the bike to take advantage of that in the right rpm range and hold on :lol:

i think he has some good points :wink:

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sure wont argue since thats what this bike is made for "CRUISING" and TORQUE is GOOD for cruising on a HEAVY bike. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dyno'ed VN2000 on May 12

I just dynoed my vulcan and it produced 87 hp and 112 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Not bad but I would like to see better. I also found out that these bikes run really lean at idle, When you hit 65 in fifth gear the air fuel mixture is perfect but runs really lean for the majority of the power band. I think that this is an untapped powerhouse. I know that a guy has bolted on exhaust, intake and a wet shot of nitrous and pulled 138hp and 189ft lbs of torque on a stock internal engine. Kawaskai detuned this bike to be fuel effiecient, if you adjusted your air/fuel mix to where is should be I guarantee I will hit 95hp and 120 ft lbs at the rear wheel on mine with stock intake and exhaust. I will update you after I have adjusted the air/fuel.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Another thing is, that they can run a lot of timing advance. My '04 with resistor mod really gets with it, through the lower gears!

Newer models likely require add-on ignition programmers, or swap out to an '04 ECU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Dyno'ed VN2000 on May 12

I just dynoed my vulcan and it produced 87 hp and 112 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Not bad but I would like to see better. I also found out that these bikes run really lean at idle, When you hit 65 in fifth gear the air fuel mixture is perfect but runs really lean for the majority of the power band. I think that this is an untapped powerhouse. I know that a guy has bolted on exhaust, intake and a wet shot of nitrous and pulled 138hp and 189ft lbs of torque on a stock internal engine. Kawaskai detuned this bike to be fuel effiecient, if you adjusted your air/fuel mix to where is should be I guarantee I will hit 95hp and 120 ft lbs at the rear wheel on mine with stock intake and exhaust. I will update you after I have adjusted the air/fuel.
I just had my 05 VN2000 dynoed as well, pulling 90 hp and 125 peak torque. This is with stock air box and filter, but with 3" hard krome pipes installed, it is running super lean at low rpm/cruising speed and I'm being told that it will need a power-commander to avoid damage to the engine. I'm also going to install a k&n filter at the same time.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
My VN2000 hits the rev-limiter in first gear at 37 mph on the bike's speedo(probably a true 32 mph) That seems so soon to me and often catches me by surprise. Can someone tell me ay what speed their 2000 hits the limiter or if they know how to calculate it or where to get the info? My dealer has been of no help. I need to decide if I have a problem with a sensor or not.
You may find this of interest;

Kawasaki Vulcan Speed Calculator

·
Registered
13 Posts
My friend's bike the original VN2000 CLASSIC the one with a weird headlight hits the limiter at around 58mph in first and it doesn't waist time getting there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts