Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,
I am getting back into riding after a 17 year layoff. Last bike was a Yamaha 750. The consideration that is causing me some problems is that I am 6'8" and 320 lbs, and some of the bikes I have tried on for size have had to be surgically removed.
After much research, cruisers fit the bill for me and I very much like the look of both the VN2000 and 1600 Nomad models. I won't be using the bike for commuting, but mostly for some weekend cruising. The VN2000 is probably the best physical fit for me but I am wondering if it might be just that bit too big for someone coming back in. I haven't ridden either bike yet.
I have been very impressed with the practicality of the feedback provided by this forum and would appreciate any comments you can provide.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had not ridden a motorcycle in about 9 years when I decided to get back into it. I picked out a bike that I felt comfortable on. Not so much on the engine size. I was hearing all kinds of advice, from go with a 500 to get an 1100. When I sat on the Vulcan 800 Classic it fit me I felt comfortable with it right out of the dealership. I would say get the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I hadn't had a bike since my CBX in 1979 and I bought a VN2000 in June. I'm 5.5 feet tall and 170 lbs. and have not regretted a single mile of the 3000 I've ridden so far. I love the torque!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks. Physical fit to the bike is definitely the major consideration for me, not engine size, and the VN2000 is probably the best fit so far. Sounds promising Pete. Can I trouble you for some more feedback ? Any major issues with car park speed manouvering from your perspective? Are freeway bars one of the first accessories you'd install ? Has it ever tipped over, and if it has, was it possible to get it back up by yourself ?

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I'm a smaller guy (5'7") and after a 20+ year layoff from riding, jumped in and bought a 1500 Classic. I had some tell me that I should start small and re-work my way back up while others told me to go for the big cruiser at first becasue I'd get used to it very soon. I'm glad I went with the 1500 & not the 800.

Anyway, my 1500 is very nimble for its size even at parkinglot speeds. It took a bit of getting used to but once that is done, 5 mph in a parking lot is as easy as 70 on the interstate.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
parking lot speeds

peter
i am 5'7" and weigh 170 lbs and i drive a nomad. same feeling as spok, once you get used to it, you don't feel the weight. it may feel a little intimidating at first, but most of it is mental block. once you feel that the bike will do what you need it to do and not fall over, its all fun from there. enjoy your ride, whatever you decide to get.

·
Registered
570 Posts
At parking lot speeds or narrow street U-turns I have to be very aware of the VN2000's mass. Once its moving faster, however, I think its heft is part of what makes it feel so good. And have I mentioned its TORQUE? It may only run a mid 12 sec. quarter, but it never feels like its straining at all when you accelerate hard. If the Viper were a motorcycle, it would be a VN2000(gobs of torque, a bit on the heavy side, and no frills) I prefer cruising without a windshield so far, but I do have a pair of Leather-lyke bags to install this weekend.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am 6'3" 220lbs but when I started riding I weighed closer to 300. I started on a 800 classic and now ride a 1600 classic. The 1600 feels better even at slower speeds than the 800 ever did. Although the 800 was great.

I have not ridden the 2000 but I will say from talking to some people who have ridden the 1600 and the 2000 they say the 2k can be a beast in the parking lot and the floorboards actually feel more cramped than the 1600. Go with what you feel comfortable on and take it nice and slow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys, your input so far has been extremely valuable.
I'm taking a test ride on the 1600 and 2000 on Friday (OZ time). They also have the Honda 1300 and 1800, so I might take them out as well for a comparison. Regards.......

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Peter stick with the vulcans! The honda's sound like a lawnmower when you put pipe's on it . Plus the vulcans are quicker.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

omg-he said the "H" word :lol:

let the good times roll baby 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, At the risk of being totally ostracized and barred from using this site ever again, I should fess up..... I am also going to test ride one model from another H word manufacturer on Friday, just in case. I would have to say though, that based initial fit and the practical comments from this group, both Kawasakis are still well in front, and it will take a big effort to move them from this spot. I'll be making a call over the weekend.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Peter you can come back anytime just don't mention the H word.<BG> I went an test rode 3 of the HD about 2 wks. ago . Actually I had some time to kill an stopped to look around. The saleslady said to take the v-rod for a spin an get a $50 gift certifcate, so I did ,then When I got back I took a dynaaaaa oouutt,(the ride of the dyna hasn't changed in 30 yrs.). Then I took a softail custom with the wide whitewalls out .Definitely a smoother ride than the dyna (dyna smooths out with higher rpms but it still wasn't as smooth as th softail).The softail has a whine to it due to the counterbalancer's. My pick of the HD family was definitely the V-rod ( just don't like the looks). I have ridden a 1600 an v2k an if you can get past the HD hype the vulcans beat them hands down. Go ride the 1600 or v2k then ride any of the HD. You'll see what I'm talking about.

·
32,545 Posts
H word

woodchuck
i hate to back the H's up, but i am going to have to disagree with you. i would not trade my nomad for anything, but the VTX1800 has got to be the fastest cruiser on the road. my best friend rides one and there is no touching him. sorry, but i had to say it, don't hate me !!

·
32,545 Posts
VTX

woodchuck
i forgot one thing though, you are right about the pipes. he has a set of V&H pipes on his and it definitely has an odd sound to it. so, ya, stick with the Vuclans !

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I speed =The deal honda was running on the 1800 a few weeks ago for around $8 or $9000.00 would of been hard to pass up. I don't hate anybody over machinery, just riding is good enough for me. My comments about HD is just based on the price when I rode all of the above mentioned bikes I just didn't see the quality for the money. there nice bikes an all just seemed a little out dated. (except the v-rod) just don't care for the look. Haven't ridden a meanie though. The new nomad looks sweet,but there won't be any of them around here to look at until next march,snowmobile time don't you know. The honda's are alright just never have liked them or there car's. As far as chevy or ford. Toyota Tundra all the way.<G>

·
32,545 Posts

woodchuck
you were going good right up until the Toyota comment, ouch that stings. hehehe. j/k. i agree with you on the harleys, in my eyes their biggest fault is what you get for the price. in comparison, how can i justify buying a road king over a nomad, when i get so much more bike with the nomad. if their prices came down and quality went up then i might consider it just like i would consider any other brand. oh well, for now i would rather have my nomad than any other. and as far as trucks go, i don't think i need to repeat myself !!!
(ill let the picture speak for itself)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I went from a 440 to a 1600 with several years in between. Took a little while to adjust, but now I'm looking back at the 2000 :lol:

As far as the Harleys go- I think Kaw has them on looks (esp those nasty lil sportsters). The Harleys do sound good though. Unless we're talking about the V-Rod, in which I think HD has a winner :roll:

Phatty

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i consider "nasty" a compliment to my sporty :lol: nasty fast :twisted:

there a 2 vrods in our group and its a love/hate bike
and i love it :p if you ride it for what it was meant for :wink:

the very fact that its a great piece of engineering and is so different
from the rest of the H/D's is the reason i like it

but kawi just can't be beat for dependability and low maintenance
and comfort and on and on and on..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help. Have put a downpayment on my bike. Got down to a choice between Ho 1800, HD RK Classic and the VN2000. Didn't like the shaft drive or the feel and sound of the Ho (note how I am carefully avoiding use of the full word !), and it was not a great physical fit for my 6'7" frame. First time on an HD was a great experience, but HD did themselves no favours as I pre arranged a ride on a Road King Classic, but they only had a Custom when I arrived. "Just imagine it's a little bigger" was the line. I guess they don't have to work very hard to sell HD. The "deal" they offered off 2004 model RRP was around 3%, which was most certainly not what I considered "really looking after me". The ride was great but just not quite there. Got on the VN2000 and felt right at home. Brakes perfect for me, gearchange perfect for me, smooth acceleration, great fit. My only problem was with low speed manoeuverability, but much of this is due to my 20 years off. Engine bars and advanced riding course are the first options. I'll also need to order a neck brace following a couple of quick accelerations. Oh, and the dealer offered 10% off RRP. Really looking forward to delivery next week, just a tad better than HD. Again, many thanks for your invaluable input. I would have missed many of my "comparison points" without it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts