Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here. Have scoured the web looking for info/hoping to find someone else that has had this issue before I dive in.
Bike is new(ish) to me, having purchased it a couple of years ago. Due to (life) issues (and the CRAPPY weather where I live), I haven't gotten a chance to ride it as much as I have wanted to.. so, it still has very low mileage for an '07 (under 2600).

After a couple of (short) rides, I noticed a couple of drops of oil underneath the engine, and traced it to the (water pump seals) weep hole.
This weep hole is on the bottom of the engine, just behind the 3rd. bolt from the rear of the oil pan. (the water pump cavity where the impeller would be is above/behind it in this photo
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory

Note: This is NOT my crankcase, I have not disassembled my bike/engine yet.

I assume that this in NOT going to be the Mechanical seal, but rather the inner oil seal... therefore requiring an engine removal/case split in order to change it.
Have not been able to find where anyone else who has had this issue, or done the repairs (coolant leaks/mechanical seal replacement=yes, but anyone who has had an oil leak at this weep hole, has had to replace the inner oil seal, No).

If anyone here has had this issue, any info/response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have a vn2000, so I don't know how to replace the water pump. With my 05 Concours 1000 I was able to remove the water pump and then the oil seal was accessible and easily replaceable. It just bolts onto the side of the engine. The 06 C-10 had a batch of bad pumps that the oil seal would come out of the bore and cause a leak. The fix was to replace it and install it with lock-tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't have a vn2000, so I don't know how to replace the water pump. With my 05 Concours 1000 I was able to remove the water pump and then the oil seal was accessible and easily replaceable. It just bolts onto the side of the engine. The 06 C-10 had a batch of bad pumps that the oil seal would come out of the bore and cause a leak. The fix was to replace it and install it with lock-tight.
Thank you for your time and response. However, I'm hoping to find someone who has faced this issue first hand. (not trying to be difficult, I do appreciate your response)

I have referred to the VN2000 repair manual online (yet to purchase one), and researched for (the few) pictures that I can find in regards to the VN2000 crankcases.

The seal in question (the one that I suspect is the cause of the (minor) oil leak is one of two seals on the water pump shaft.

One (the Mechanical seal) is outboard of the right hand side crankcase (transmission section), and keeps coolant from entering the engine via the water pump shaft.. but, it also appears that it may serve a dual function, and keep Oil (under pressure) within the gap between the seals (outer/Mechanical & Inner/Oil) on the water pump shaft and lubes the outer bearing.
(I.E., the outer water pump shaft bearing appears to be pressure/force fed, rather than splash fed, as the inner is, hence the need to seal both sides of the bearing)
I'm very dubious as to whether an issue here would result in an oil leak out of the weep hole shown above, and suspect the inner seal, or it's installation as the root cause.

One can see the (inner) bearing outlined in this picture (and oil passages) of the right hand side inner case (the inner seal is outboard of the bearing circled in red, I.E. unseen/beneath it in the photo)
I apologize for the poor quality of the picture, but it was the ONLY one that I could find showing the inside of the right hand side crankcase.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Groupset

The "Mechanical Seal" (outermost seal), is much more easily accessible than the inner (oil seal) that would require an engine removal and splitting of the cases.

The inner seal appears to keep oil from the transmission compartment from mixing with the oil that is fed to the water pump bearing (and seal the chamber (gap) between the Mechanical Seal and the outer bearing.
(Of course, I plan on replacing the Mechanical Seal once I'm in the engine anyway)

The repair manual is not concise enough, so I've had to glean some of this from line drawn illustrations and poor quality pictures of crankcases for sale on eBay.
This leaves me with questions (which is the reason that I posted the request for info from anyone who has faced this issue.. specifically, initiated by an oil leak at the weep hole/on a VN2000, below the water pump, just right of the oil pan, and slightly behind the 3rd. bolt from the rear).

If I had mine disassembled, or had a crankcase in front of me, it would be much easier to deduce the exact source of the oil leak.
Disassembling mine to inspect it, or purchasing a crankcase assembly off of ebay before diving into this are both poor options.
Hence my attempt to find someone on this forum who has faced this issue already (someone else who has done the "legwork" :) )

Thanks again,
Edward

·
Super Moderator
2,702 Posts
Excellent, detailed write-up on your issue Edward. Hopefully someone will surface who has more knowledge, but in the meantime, members who have torn apart other engines may be able to provide some assistance.

I have a question for you:

Are you certain that the inner seal cannot be replaced without splitting the cases?
It is quite common to have to split cases to change a bearing, but often the seal for that bearing can be replaced without splitting the cases.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow they hosed you with that water pump assy. I just looked at a OEM diagram of your water pump. It looks like the case has to be split to get to the oil seal. They cast the pump body into the case and installed the seal and inner bearing from the inside, then the shaft is installed from the inside, and another bearing, water seal and impeller added to the outside. No way to get to the oil seal from the outside.

My experience was with bolt on water pumps and I was able to remove and rebuild it then reinstall.

·
Registered
344 Posts
OK, I admit this is perhaps a one in 200 repair but it worked for me. In 1983 I was working as a mechanic in a Suzuki dealership, Suzuki finally ditched the stone axe reliable but underpowered eight valve 550 in favor of a 16 valve, full floater, anti dive, 16" front wheel GS550ED. I just had to have one, bought the first one we got, rode it a few hundred miles and my right boot was covered with oil. Right crank seal leaking, this was a split the case repair. I made a seal installer out of a stack of washers and a bolt that threaded into the crankshaft, put the new seal in the freezer, repair was successful. Might never work again but all you are out is the price of one seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts