Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is any one experienced the following?
driving condition normal road, 55 MPH, engine temp in middle, oil pressure fine, fuel level fine, 5 th gear then for no reason engine stop.
Not lock or seize, just plain stop like ignition was turn off. as i drop the gear down one by one to a stop noticed all parameters normal, bike has power (light, flashing turn signal ect... work....) kill switch is on ... stop at side of the road upset calling a friend to pick me up. tried to start the bike back after checking ignition wiring, power on, fuel hose, vacum hose at the tank knobs( yea got that one before), no luck bike refuse to start. engine turn when starter is cranked but that's all. Decided to stop before i run the battery and overheat the starter. as friend with truck is on his way (about 10 minutes) decided to give it a last crank and she started with no problem.... waited a few minute in iddle as i did not want the engine to repeat that in a busy freeway i was jumping into. all is fine. drove back home n ormally.... has not repeated since (approx 200 miles)..any comment? suggestion? similar experience or recommendation?
thank you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
sounds electrical like an ignition module--seen it happen on cars after they cooled down they would be fine for awhile just a thought :?:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me twice. Both times going 55 to 60 and
engine cuts out. First time waited about 10 minutes then it started. Second time
had to wait 20 minutes. Took it in and they could not repeat the problem. Now I had
a new issue on the 3rd time. Started the bike was leting it warm up and after about
5 minutes it stoped running. This time it would not start again. It is currently at
the dealership and they are very puzzeled. This is not a 750 but a 500 that is now 13 months old with 1700 miles on it and has had the scheduled maintenance performed.

I will follow up when they find the problem. :?:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Strange. My 2000 VN 750 did the same thing when it was new (about 1000 miles at the time) and I was 150 miles from home. It acted like it had run out of fuel. I was doing about 65 mph at the time. I downshifted like you did, and at about 30 mph it came back to life like nothing had ever happened. It wouldn't replicate the problem at the dealer, and never has in the last 3 years since.

I'm guessing vapor lock, and from what I've read, it's a common problem on these bikes. Maybe there is some way to insulate the fuel line to prevent it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is an extremely old thread. It came up in the "Similar Threads" box at the bottom of a current thread, but I found it interesting because of stalling problems I had experienced with my '02 vn800a and thought what I found might help someone.

My 800 stalled on me several times, 15 to 20 minutes into an Interstate speed (65-75mph) ride. Never did experience the problem around town or on 55mph roads. Each time, the bike would die, sometimes almost at once, other times like it was running out of gas. After pulling to the side of the road, the bike wouldn't start for 5-15 minutes, but I knew I wasn't out of gas because the tank was full. Messing with the petcock wouldn't do any good. It would start up after sitting a period of time and run fine for another 5-10 minutes or so and then die again.

I took the bike into the dealer, but they couldn't get it to repeat.

To make a longer story short, my problems always happened with a full tank of gas. Expansion was causing the fuel to get into the vent system and was plugging the vents. There was apparently enough venting to not affect fuel delivery at low speeds, but at 65-75, venting through the wet vents was not adequate and the vacuum forming in the tank would eventually stop the fuel flow. Letting the bike sit woud let the vents, or air slipping through the keyway enough to let in enough air to allow fuel flow, but until the fuel level was low enough to not run into the vent tubing and the vent tubing dried out, the fuel flow would again stop after another short 65-75 mph run. I later found the time I needed to wait before the bike would start was almost nothing if I opened the filler cap.

I never had the problem again after I started to stop filling the tank when the fuel level reached the bottom baffle of the filling tube with the bike leaning on its side stand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know how old this thread is ... but I've come to learn that the VN750s have an inherent defect in the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Some will just shut off like you turned the ignition switch off, others will start to miss, run on one cylinder and act up real bad. Turning the key of and on (back and forth) will sometimes correct the problem... but this is temporary... The only way to correct the problem is to either replace the switch (which means having to replace the switch lock and all as Kawasaki doesn't sell just the switch) or take your switch apart, clean it real well, stretch the contactor springs slightly, use some electrical grease and reassemble the switch. Hope this helps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts