Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've a 97 VN750 with 9,000 on the clock. Just had it serviced knew plugs etc new tank of Gas rode it for may be 200 miles then left it for three weeks. There were no problems when I put it away.
Now I've got a problem with the front cylinder. The bike runs rough I have white smoke from that Exhaust that smells of gas not oil. The plugs are wet and black but not fouled. The right hand plug has a good blue spark the left hand plug has a little red in the spark but it's realy strong.
This has happened before and I'm told it's a stuck float because I don't drain the Carb every time I leave it. This seems excessive to me. can any one help. All I get out of my local shop is Duh bring it in. thats a 15 mile ride with the bike runing rough and at least another $200 down the drain. HELP please
Has anybody else had this kind of problem with the VN750.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be a fouling of your primary jet in the carb feeding the dud cylinder. I had a similar problem on my en500. One carb was ok but the other was putting petrol back inot the airbox and one cylinder plug being wet and sooty. Once i cleaned out the primary jet it was ok again. I was told by a kawasaki mechanic that the only way to fix it properly is to cut a bristle of a wire brush and use this to scrape the crap out of the primary jet.(the bristle is just a bit smaller than the primary jet opening) Any's amount of compressed air will not shift the build up. Apparently it is a common problem with kwackers.

I had checked my float heights as well but unless they get a severe jolt or similar then your float heights should not alter.

I know some here will talk about the jet being brass and the bristle being steel and never the twain shall meet, but I can assure you it worked a dream for me as a quick fix. It saved me a fortune with not having to put the bike inot my local kwacker dealer for a carb overhaul.

It's worth giving it a try m8. Hope it helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another way of telling it is the primary jet is if the bike runs ok higher up the rev range then the fuel that is coming through the carb main jet is enough to keep it runnning ok but when you get inot the lower rev range it reverts to trying to get the fuel through the primary jet but cant so it sooks it up through the main jet to try and keep the bike running and this is what fouls the plug and gives you fuel coming out the bad pot intead of burnt gasses.

I speak from experience her so i hope it helps m8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts