Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I bought my 1999 VN800 about 2 months ago with 48000kms on the clock and didnt really pick it up at the time but not long after noticed a tapping noise when taking off from a standing start or during accelaration after changing gears a bit early i.e 1st to 2nd and so on (basicaly only when the motor is labouring a bit). Originally I thought it might be just the valves out of tune and or the timing, but have since had it tuned and serviced and was told by the mechanic that it might be big end knock. as these are the only times that it happens and it doesnt seem to be getting worse, should I be worried?

Has anyone had a similar noise or offer any suggestions or is this just how the VN's run?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sounds like pre-igniton..............try running a higher octane and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hard to say because the 800 has a fairly noisy motor to start with. I have to run mid grade fuel in mine or it gets tappy.

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Tapping noises, not sure. Now if you had a 'ticking' noise........no problem, the Donkey can fix that.:wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well seem to be having the same problems with my '96 VN800A Custom. I cannot quite place exactly where its coming from. I don't think it's big ends though as the knocking isn't regular enough. However it is only when the motor is under load (i.e. acceleration). The noise isn't there though, when the bike is in neutral or I pull the clutch and it's not at the speed of the motor. So it could be something in the drive chain (clutch/gearbox), however the exhaust is so loud, I cannot hear exactly where it's coming from...
Anyway I'm open to ideas and tipps. Or if I find out what it is I'll post it here.

·
Registered
887 Posts
800's do tap a bit, their valves are not hydraulic so they will ( and must) tap. But if the chain is loose or streched it can rub against the engine case by the engine sprocket. Remove the sprocket cover and right behind the sprocket toward the rear wheel there is a casting boss that the chain goes over and under, look to see if the chain has been hitting it, it will be shiney or clean if it has.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sorry for my bad english but i'm from italy...

i've got the same "problem"....when the engine is under load you hear a noise like "klo klo klo klo", but when rpms goes higher this noise stops....isn't it?
I've heard about other vulcan's owners who has got this same problem..usually with a '96 model....i solved the problem keeping the engine rpm a bit high when i ride (only when i accelerate)..let you engine sing eheheh...

·
Custom 800
426 Posts
I have a ticking noise (almost like a bad spark plug wire but they are fine) during idle.give it throttle and it goes away. any suggestions.

·
Follow Jesus!!
733 Posts
Hi guys,

...accelaration after changing gears a bit early i.e 1st to 2nd and so on (basicaly only when the motor is labouring a bit). ...

"Lugging" the engine will also cause the ticking noise.

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I would have to hear the noise to tell you for sure. 800's make lots of different noises, and most are normal. The valve rockers should tick a bit; noisey valves are happy valves.
From your description though, it seems you're lugging the engine maybe? I am guessing it's your counterbalancer (more of a knock than a tap though). Need to slip the clutch a bit more when taking off and shift later. The 800 is a rather high revving engine for a v-twin (redline is set at 7400RPM).

·
Needs More Cowbell
11,774 Posts
I have a ticking noise (almost like a bad spark plug wire but they are fine) during idle.give it throttle and it goes away. any suggestions.
I have the exact same noise and could never figure it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i would say check you drive chain for adjustment and or tight/ frozen links. i have found many motor noises related to a loose or worn out chain, both can make noise on deceleration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts