Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether it is possible to wire up standard indicators on the front of a Year 2000 VN800 Classic and LED indicators on the rear? I know that resistors are required for the LED's to stop them flashing their heads off.
I need if possible a wiring diagram if this is possible.
Basically I want tiny indicators on the rear as the originals are too big and do not look right.It would be easier to leave then off but they are an MOT requirement in England U.K. and I would like to be seen indicating rather than hope a driver can see my arm extended out to manually indicate old skool style.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Most stock turn signal relays(what came on the bike from the factory) use bulb resistance to operate the relay.

Go to the nearest auto parts store and get a new electonic flasher/blinker relay. It's designed to compensate for different electrical loads, so it should solve your problem without having to do wiring modifications.

On most Kawasaki's with running lights built into the front turn signals, three wires are in the assembly: a ground circuit(usually a black wire with a yellow stripe), the turn signal circuit, and the running light circuit.

As for the rear signals, again, a ground circuit, and the turn signal circuit.

The older Kawasaki's used # 1157 dual filiment bulbs in the front signals and #1156 single filiments for the rear signals.

When wiring up new LED's, observe polarity as if the new lights are not hooked up properly, they might not work.

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most stock turn signal relays(what came on the bike from the factory) use bulb resistance to operate the relay.

Go to the nearest auto parts store and get a new electonic flasher/blinker relay. It's designed to compensate for different electrical loads, so it should solve your problem without having to do wiring modifications.

On most Kawasaki's with running lights built into the front turn signals, three wires are in the assembly: a ground circuit(usually a black wire with a yellow stripe), the turn signal circuit, and the running light circuit.

As for the rear signals, again, a ground circuit, and the turn signal circuit.

The older Kawasaki's used # 1157 dual filiment bulbs in the front signals and #1156 single filiments for the rear signals.

When wiring up new LED's, observe polarity as if the new lights are not hooked up properly, they might not work.
The indicators on the English models are not used as running lights they are purely indicators only - will this make a difference?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I would not think so, but check with the local motorcycle shop/local police about possible vehicle regulations being broken.

If by indicators, do you mean that running lights are not used/required across the pond? To check, remove the lens in the front turn signals and see if the bulb has one or two electrical contacts. One contact would mean no running lights, and two would have the additional circuit for running lights.

If you still plan on using LED's in the rear for turn signal indicators, I'd think they would work, just replace the original blinker/flasher relay with the electronic one.

·
I AM THE DAD FROM ****
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not think so, but check with the local motorcycle shop/local police about possible vehicle regulations being broken.

If by indicators, do you mean that running lights are not used/required across the pond? To check, remove the lens in the front turn signals and see if the bulb has one or two electrical contacts. One contact would mean no running lights, and two would have the additional circuit for running lights.

If you still plan on using LED's in the rear for turn signal indicators, I'd think they would work, just replace the original blinker/flasher relay with the electronic one.
Cheers Chap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.