Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

have you made a pipe/ intake change?

most folks are running a 48 or 50 pilot (48 is stock) and 165 main(135 is stock)
with 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 turns out on the air/fuel screw from seated position
some are using shims some don't but that combo seems to deliver the bang for the buck
:wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the baffles from the stock pipes and busted out the metal grate up in there. I also installed a K&N Open element Air filter. It seems like she could use a little more fuel on the top end, up there around 70 or 80. I put a 162.5 in there tonight and haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. On my first attempt, I didn't get the carb sealed up tight around the intake and she was hissing, popping, and wheezing when I first started up. I had to take the whole thing apart to get that right. Now it's running fine.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

looks good classic :wink: you should be right in the ball park
prolly just a little tweak on the screw if it stumbles any

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rain finally subsided long enough for me to get out with my new setup. It just didn't feel right. Idle was a little slower and overall the ride just didn't feel good. I go a lot on how the bike feels when I ride it. I can notice subtle changes. So, I came back and tried removing the 1/16" shim I put in there just after I got the bike. Then I took it out again. It rode better, but still not great. At least nothing noticeable as far as performance increase. I think I'll end up going back to the way I had it. Screw on about 3 turns, needle shimmed, and stock main jet. I may even try a 145 or 155 main. The K&N I bought is actually quite small because I bought it while not wanting to put a new main jet in. It's 3" around and 1 & 1/2" tall. I just wanted a smaller filter, not more air flow. That could be a reason the bike didn't respond well to the increased fuel from the new jet. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm getting awfully good at removing the tank. I've learned to leave the petcock in the ON or RES position so no fuel comes out. Draining the tank this many times would not really be an option!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

"I just wanted a smaller filter, not more air flow. That could be a reason the bike didn't respond well to the increased fuel from the new jet. Oh well, back to the drawing board. I'm getting awfully good at removing the tank. I've learned to leave the petcock in the ON or RES position so no fuel comes out. Draining the tank this many times would not really be an option!"

classic-most folks on the intake side do a complete airbox mod(open it up)and a normal
sized KN or = along with pipes or modded stk pipes and really get the breathing going
with 50pilot/165main set up-your prolly correct about still not enough air for the new jet to respond-dialed in right the 800 will respond - i would consider going all the way with it
or putting it back stk-use thunder,or hypercharger or whatever with that jet set-up
and free exhaust and you'll notice the difference

i admire your willingness to experiment and share your info :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i don't think you'll see a difference other than fiddling with it :lol:

your exhaust is still restrictive will only rear baffles out -until your ready to pipe it
and really increase air flow-i'd run the 135 and stk pilot and try to tune with just the air/fuel

thing is- i don't really know what that smaller element is doing to airflow cause i've
never seen anything but the stock size element used-just hiflo like k/n

is it in the stock housing? and i'm wondering if by being alot smaller is it not actually
restricting air? because of less surface area

oh- and you may already know but the air/fuel screw is pointed so when you tighten it
all the way in don't go very tight - just till it seats-it can be damaged by overtightning
then back it out :wink:

one other thing- if you installed a filter that say can flow 700cfm of air and your engine
can only take in 500cfm-you have done nothing for performance-the extra flow can't get
in cause the motor won't take it. the intake on the 800 is a snorkel sorta and it pulls air from under the tank through a couple of turns and in - the best way to get air is to get COOL
air from outside - hence thunder,hyper and others - this is where perfromance increases
come from

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The filter I bought, as you might be able to tell in the picture, is open and pie-shaped. It fit right on to the carb, and I completely removed the stock air box. If anything, it's flowing the same amount of air that my stock system was, but I like it because it takes up very little space. Tonight I'm going to put it all back the way it was. Lesson learned. When I'm really ready to open her up, I'll throw in the larger main jet. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im new to forums and need a little input. Ive got a 95 vn800a with kuryakyn hypercharger and vance and hines straightshots for exhaust. I bought the bike with the carb spitting gas out of the intake port after opening the carb i noticed there arent any shims on the metering rod but there are several slots for adjustment. As well as a 130 main and unrecognizable number on the pilot. I need to know what the adjustments should be with this setup for the adjustment screw and metering rod, and what the best jets would be with this setup. Ive read 165 main and 50 pilot but would like more input before ordering. Thanks in advance for any input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts