Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this bike since last year.
I'm 6'4", most of my height is from the waist up (32 inseam). I seem to always feel lower back pain when riding. I replaced the seat with a Mustang, which fixed the soreass. Sore back is still a problem. What have riders done to fix lower back problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
Do you have a windsheild? I don't and I have back pain too. I think part of it is your whole upper body straining to keep straight fighting against the wind. A backrest would probably help a lot too.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ape hangers.

I had the same problem with my 1600 Classic. Swapped out the bars to 16" ape hangers and now an 800 mile day is not a problem. Back and wrist pain used to be intolerable after less than 200 miles.

·
Yet another 800 Bobber...
598 Posts
A modern tourer has mid controls, a high seat and an upright riding positions to give you good manoeuverability and no back pain on long rides.

A cruiser on the other hand has forward controls, low seat, a stretched riding position with a sharp bend at your hip which puts all the strains directly on your back. Oh and they look good and they makes us feel good. :cool:

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Replaced stock seat with Mustang. Made my ribs hurt, the bottom two on each side. Leaned the bars back a tad and it helped considerably. I guess the "bucket" in the seat pushed me back about an inch or so, just enough to make me bend forward.
Riding my Venture makes my back hurt down low at first but it subsides, but then the hips hurt. On it I'm near straight up much more like the Concours than the Vulcan.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Are the newer mustangs set up for a drivers backrest ,like the corbins are ? That along with a windshield will make the biggest improvement for the 800. I've had a corbin set up for the last six years on the 800 along with 12" apes and theres no butt or back pain from this set up.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Really nothing you can do because you're putting all that pressure on your tail bone.
I see that statement as more of a generalisation than a rule. There's plenty of cruiser riders without tailbone pain to consider it a constent problem for all.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I see that statement as more of a generalisation than a rule. There's plenty of cruiser riders without tailbone pain to consider it a constent problem for all.
I was not saying everyone has back pain. I for one usually never do. But when you are a tall dude like that and on a cruiser, there really is not many options except to move the foot controls or maybe get a back rest.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
this will sound somewhat like a broken record, but seriously consider Apes, even Mini-Apes. I found the combination of 14" Apes, a Mustang seat, and some highway pegs placed exactly right made the ride a darn sight better than stock.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ape hangers.

I had the same problem with my 1600 Classic. Swapped out the bars to 16" ape hangers and now an 800 mile day is not a problem. Back and wrist pain used to be intolerable after less than 200 miles.
+ 1.............I added 3" risers, which helped, but the pain didn't totally disappear until I added my 16" apes.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I added a Mustang seat w/ a driver's backrest and I have no problems with back pain any more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts