Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional Couch Surfer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing the famous "belt whine" or not ... when reving the engine in a normal manner, I hear a high pitched whine that follows the RPMs.

I want to suspect it is NOT the belt because, when at speed, if I clutch-in and let the engine idle, the whine goes away (even though the belt is still at speed).

I got the bike (2007) with about 6200 miles on it and am now at about 7700 (need to do my 7500 maintenance when I get back), but I don't know if it's worth taking to a dealer for an opinion ... is this a normal sound from the 900's engine?

I'm hoping to find a Kawi dealer while I'm in Las Vegas and see if I can test ride another one to compare, but I figured I have a much larger sample size here ... plus, smarter people. :)

Thanks,
Sam

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
Whine

I have a VN900 Classic LT, '07 and it doesn't whine. Good luck in finding out what is going on.

·
Professional Couch Surfer
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might just be the fuel pump you're hearing.
Is that in a good or bad or indifferent way? I.E. could this be an indicator of impending failure if it's the fuel pump?

I haven't tried to rev it up on the kickstand and track down the source of the noise ... I keep forgetting until I'm riding along and it irritates me.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
22 Posts
dude i think i've got the same problem. i think its my fuel pump. it makes a "zing" noise when i'm accelerating or decelerating just above idle. it's only been doing it for a day and ive got to fix it because it's soooo annoying

·
Registered
449 Posts
The noise is actually most likely normal. I have had that whine since day one 2 years ago. It hasn't gone away, but is less noticeable with a full tank. And if it is the gear box noise, just run synthetic oil, it will dampen the sound. And as one guy 2 years ago told me. "Getting louder pipes fixes most sound problems." ;)

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
mushinspace, you've described the noise perfectly. I have an 08 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and it does exactly what you described. I also believe it isn't the belt for the exact reasons you mentioned. I don't believe it is the fuel pump because I can hear that too and it's not a problem. I don't know how bad this noise is on yours but if I'm cruising at 45 to 50 MPH with a steady throttle, it can hit a high pitched noise that it's the only thing you can focus on. I've thought of nicknaming my ride the "Silver Whistle." ;)

I've tried and it isn't something I can completely ignore. The sound is so "in your face." I have decided to just let it go and let it be the nature of the beast. That seems to be the majority of responses I see from other posts on this topic. "Just deal with it." That's not always the answer we like to hear though. I've just not been able to do anything about it. It's been there from the beginning and it's stayed around even after putting in a new front pulley, loosening the belt, oil changes, etc.

As for being a problem to worry about, I don't think so. 18,000 miles and I haven't run into any issues. It's just annoying.

·
Fast 900
1 Posts
I also have an 08 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (only 6,000 miles) with the ear-hurting, loud, can-not-ignore whine. I is worse at 3200 to 3300 RPM in 4th or 5th gear. Had to stop in the middle of a ride yesterday because I couldn't take the whine any longer; became unbearably loud. After the break I had to stay out of that RPM range for my own sanity. Has anyone had this problem investigated by a dealer or fixed?

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Mush,

The 900 makes a lot of strange noises. The fuel pump whirls away, the tranny has straight cut gears that whine at certain RPMs, the fuel injectors chirp, and the stator can make noise too. The 900 has been called the Jetson bike more than once due its inherent sounds. Loud pipes will drowned out most of this, but that is up to you. I decided to keep the stock exhaust and putt along.

Ron,

It sounds like you have a belt tension/alignment issue. There are a plethora of posts on this topic… do some searching and I bet you will be able to fix your problem.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Does it do it standing still in neutral?
Did it just start doing it one day, or has done it all along?

Post back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to riding and recently bought a 2014 Kaw Vulcan 900. The ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT IS THIS WHINE. Mostly when I decelerate . Very annoying. I just need to know if this is normal.

·
Sick Puppy
3,216 Posts
I am new to riding and recently bought a 2014 Kaw Vulcan 900. The ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT IS THIS WHINE. Mostly when I decelerate . Very annoying. I just need to know if this is normal.
Try loosening up your belt. Kawasaki likes setting them too tight which can affect bearings in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing the famous "belt whine" or not ... when reving the engine in a normal manner, I hear a high pitched whine that follows the RPMs.

I want to suspect it is NOT the belt because, when at speed, if I clutch-in and let the engine idle, the whine goes away (even though the belt is still at speed).

I got the bike (2007) with about 6200 miles on it and am now at about 7700 (need to do my 7500 maintenance when I get back), but I don't know if it's worth taking to a dealer for an opinion ... is this a normal sound from the 900's engine?

I'm hoping to find a Kawi dealer while I'm in Las Vegas and see if I can test ride another one to compare, but I figured I have a much larger sample size here ... plus, smarter people. :)

Thanks,
Sam
I have a 2020 900 LT I bought last year with 300 miles on it and it whines as well. The sound goes away when riding if you pull in the clutch. My guess is a clutch or transmission noise. It doesn't do it in neutral and seems to lessen when not accelerating or decelerating.
Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 900 LT I bought last year with 300 miles on it and it whines as well. The sound goes away when riding if you pull in the clutch. My guess is a clutch or transmission noise. It doesn't do it in neutral and seems to lessen when not accelerating or decelerating.
Anyone else have this issue?
That's exactly what I have. My vn900 2008 makes a whining noise that raises when going faster or decelerating. As soon as I pull the clutch, at any speed, the motor gets very quiet. So I think it's something with the clutch or transmission. Probably a faulty bearing. The problem is fixing it because it might be necessary to open up the whole transmission.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts