Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post and ask about this.. but the bike makes a whirring noise when I'm riding it, that goes from lower to higher pitch, depending on how fast I'm going?

Does anyone else have this, or know what it is?

Thanks.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Oh yeah,

There is a post somewhere about it sounding like the car from the Jetson's cartoons lol. I actually like it. I think of it as a purr. Changing the pipes makes it go away some I believe.

·
You hate me, & I hate you
615 Posts
Ya its normal. same with all the clicking noises. Loud pipes doesnt get rid of it you just cant hear it.

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
I get the loud whirring noise sometimes on really hot days. It continues even with key out of the ignition. I think it is the radiator fan. It's only happened once or twice.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
the bike makes a whirring noise when I'm riding it, ...

Thanks.
It's the Flux-Capacitor ramping up to 1.21 jig-a-watts. ( or the fuel pump, or the valve train, or the reed valves, or intake noise, or the belt drive, or....?)
Completely normal, as are a handful of other sounds the 900 is famous for. Truly, nothing to worry about.

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get the loud whirring noise sometimes on really hot days. It continues even with key out of the ignition. I think it is the radiator fan. It's only happened once or twice.
That's not the same thing as I'm talking about.

This noise I'm hearing is correlated directly to the speed of the bike, and also where the clutch is as far as disengaged/friction/engaged. It goes away if I pull the clutch lever, and gradually gets loulder as I let thelever out.. and then the pitch changes based on how fast I'm going.

It is high pitched and fluttery sounding.

When it is all off and the ignition is off, it is completely not there.

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
That's not the same thing as I'm talking about.

This noise I'm hearing is correlated directly to the speed of the bike, and also where the clutch is as far as disengaged/friction/engaged. It goes away if I pull the clutch lever, and gradually gets loulder as I let thelever out.. and then the pitch changes based on how fast I'm going.

It is high pitched and fluttery sounding.

When it is all off and the ignition is off, it is completely not there.
Hah, I get this noise too. A lot of 900's have it. It has been described as a whining sound, the jetsons sound and the whirring sound. Popular consensus seems to be that it is an inherent noise of the 900 because of the way the gearbox is cut. There is no cure or solution for the noise. What some people do is debaffle their pipes or buy aftermarket ones to drown out the whine.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think it does go away over time. I have 5000 miles on mine and don't notice it any more. I have debaffled my pipes, but I'm still pretty sure that whine has disappeared.

·
Finally on da road!!!
119 Posts
I've been meaning to post and ask about this.. but the bike makes a whirring noise when I'm riding it, that goes from lower to higher pitch, depending on how fast I'm going?

Thanks.
Mine does it. Not a big thing.
:evil:

·
Registered
823 Posts
My VN900 Classic, has had the whirring noise since day one.

I've enquired at the Kawasaki dealership close by as to whether that was normal, and was always reassured that it was.

The noise seemed to come from behind this cover:

So, as the whirring seemed to be increasing, I decided to take it off, and see what was going on behind there:

The lock washer had failed, and the engine pulley retaining nut had loosened, the pulley had almost come off the transmission shaft, and the belt was running on less than half an inch of pulley, ( for how long I do not know).

The only thing that was holding it all together was this:

You can clearly see where the nut was trying to wear through the pulley cover.

Let this be a timely warning to all those who take the dealer reassurances of unusual noises at face value.

Check it out further, this particular part takes no more than about 5 minutes to get into.

Check that the locking washer is fully bent over the nut on one side, check that the nut has been properly torqued to 97 ft lbs, and check the deflection on your belt.

The nut is 27mm.

The allen bolts on the chrome cover and pulley cover all take a 5mm hex driver.

It took me about an hour and AUD$17.30, to fix it, the drive shaft looks fine, oil seal was fine no leaks, so all I needed was a replacement nut and washer.

$17.30, to fix a major problem? Hell yes, what a great scooter is the VN900!

But, if I'd been stimulated to check sooner, I may have saved myself even that!

Please be advised.

Christo.

·
Registered
823 Posts
With the front pulley nut torqued and locked correctly, and the belt deflection perfect, the noise has dissapeared.

Unfortunately I can now hear my Valves ticking which means I'm going to have to get my shim kit out, and start the process there.

I must admit, the bike is a 2006, with over 48,000 kilometers on the clock, so it's getting time for some of the larger maintainence jobs.

I have checked through the workshop manual, and at no point can I find a reference to checking the torque on that front pulley nut, therefore I would expect that it's should not have happened and was a potential problem right from the start.

When I looked at the original lock washer, it had only been pinched down in the middle of one side, and would indicate that it was a lazyness issue, with whomever put the bike together originally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell me how to remove the cover to the pully. Removed the four bolts and the thing won't budge. Im sure its something simple that Im not seeing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts