Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Yahoo VN900 groups and got zero responses...:frown:
I did also post this in the Cruisers forum here (if anybody knows how to submit a post to two forums at the same time please let me know-thx)

I came across a little article on how to make a PIC-based gear
indicator for a motorcycle. Thing is that the article refers to a
Katana where there is a way to get information on what gear you are on
through "a metal wiper on the side of the transmission that steps back
and forth over a set of electrical contacts as the gears are shifted"
these contacts "are grounded as the transmission shift to that position"
This would make it easy to build. Does the VN900 have something similar?

Does anybody know how I can extract gear info from a VN900?

On a separate but related note: Does anybody know what kind of output
the speed sensor produces?

There is a product called a GIPro (same makers as Speedohealer) but it
does not work on a VN900 as per the manufacturer's email response to me.

Does anybody know what principle this GIPro works on?

Thanks.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
There are a few commercial units available, but I really don't consider them very useful. They compare the speed sensor output with the tach signal and extrapolate the gear that you SHOULD be in from that.
Of course, a slipping clutch could fool the unit into thinking you're in 4th instead of 5th, and they won't tell you what gear you are in when you are standing still.

Personally, I feel that a tach gives you ALL of the information that you need, which is really what matters. I don't care what gear I'm in, but I want to know if I'm in the appropriate part of the torque curve for the type of riding I'm doing.

The speed sensor simply outputs a pulse, either current limited +12v or logic ground. More pulses = higher speed. It's the solid state equivalent of a cam on the driveshaft and a microswitch next to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich - If anybody was going to know the answer I knew it'd be you.

I guess I should build (or buy) a tach first, eh?

I just got myself some saddlebags and floorboards for the passenger. Tomorrow I will put them on (although I have a question about the bolts they came with -watch for my next question on that tomorrow). I can't wait for old man winter to go away, I need to ride!!!

Thursday starts the annual motorcycle show here in the Lower Mainland (Abbotsford, BC) I'm hoping to pick up a tank bib - and maybe spend some more money, who knows?:wink:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I can't wait for old man winter to go away, I need to ride!!!
Be happy for it. At least you have a "season" that's good for modding.
Out here, if we want custom paint work, we have two options.... be without the bike when our friends are out riding, or buy a spare set of tins!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be happy for it. At least you have a "season" that's good for modding.
Out here, if we want custom paint work, we have two options.... be without the bike when our friends are out riding, or buy a spare set of tins!
Right you are, I suppose you always have to look at the bright side :)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya, when I was into radio controlled airplanes, it was always the guys who were either retired or owned hobby shops who had the coolest planes out here. "Joe Schmoe" always had a basic kit or one that was sold prepainted and took an evening to build.
The guys from the midwest always had the big scratchbuilt bombers with so much detail that from a photograph at ground level you had a hard time telling it from the real thing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts