Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always done all of my own maintenance on my vehicles, everything except tires. I was looking over the periodic maintenance chart for the VN900 and noticed a few things that bother me…

First… What’s up with the $40 air filter? It is a large, complex piece of plastic with a little air filter element. Why not design it so that you replace just the filter element? Whoever came up with this should be subjected to Chinese water torture and bamboo slivers under their fingernails. Is there a K&N direct replacement?

Next… The manual calls for new spark plugs every 7,500 miles (at about $9 a piece). It looks like changing them is going to involve a good bit of disassembly. If they can make an automotive plug that will last for 100,000 miles, why can’t they get more than 7.5% of that out of a $9 motorcycle plug? Is there an aftermarket manufacturer that claims longer life?

Last, for now… There seems to be a lot of chassis parts the need to be disassembled for service at something like 15,000 or 20,000 miles. Why would you make something that needs to be greased every so often but make it so difficult to service? Maybe some nipples here, or better yet permanently lubed? For those of you who have reached the “big service” mark, did you do it yourselves or have the dealer do it? If you did it yourself, did you do all of the c r a p on the chart?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Good points.
I run a BAK for the filter, comes with K&N.
As for S/plugs that sucks.. I am almost due..

as for the lube, I'm not there but I will plan on tackeling it anyway.

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the stock Air Filter. I'm sure in due time someone is going to redesign the guts of that thing.

·
Father Guidosarducci
565 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the stock Air Filter. I'm sure in due time someone is going to redesign the guts of that thing.

Bah re-design something that cannot breath in the first place, not!! After market air flow to the rescue! Filters are cheaper anyways.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have always done all of my own maintenance on my vehicles, everything except tires. I was looking over the periodic maintenance chart for the VN900 and noticed a few things that bother me…

First… What’s up with the $40 air filter? It is a large, complex piece of plastic with a little air filter element. Why not design it so that you replace just the filter element? Whoever came up with this should be subjected to Chinese water torture and bamboo slivers under their fingernails. Is there a K&N direct replacement?

Next… The manual calls for new spark plugs every 7,500 miles (at about $9 a piece). It looks like changing them is going to involve a good bit of disassembly. If they can make an automotive plug that will last for 100,000 miles, why can’t they get more than 7.5% of that out of a $9 motorcycle plug? Is there an aftermarket manufacturer that claims longer life?

Last, for now… There seems to be a lot of chassis parts the need to be disassembled for service at something like 15,000 or 20,000 miles. Why would you make something that needs to be greased every so often but make it so difficult to service? Maybe some nipples here, or better yet permanently lubed? For those of you who have reached the “big service” mark, did you do it yourselves or have the dealer do it? If you did it yourself, did you do all of the c r a p on the chart?
I know what you mean...but I got my air filter yesterday for $30 ( still high though, all that plastic) and 2 plugs were little over $11. This will be my second time to change the plugs...I had to take the seat off and two bolts out of the gas tank to put one of the plugs in last time.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
There isn't a direct K&N air filter yet. Been checking on thier web site. I am supposed to get an email if they ever do make one.

As for the plugs... shop around online and you'll be surprised how cheap you can find them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
O.k. I am actually at 20k on the miles, and all I have done is change the oil at the service milestones and replaced the tires. I did have the first service done by a certified tech. I have only had my bike for 2 years and all 20k is mine. My bike still fires right up just as it did when I picked it up from the dealer. I still get the same MPG. I'm not saying that this is good for the bike or anything, but I haven't had any issues yet. I do intend on getting a high performance air filter this summer, but I don't think you need to worry about the spark plugs as often as the service manual states.

·
Lets Ride 08 900 Custom
852 Posts
In the grand scope of things, motorcycles are not really that economical, kind of the same as boating, if its specific for bikes its at least double the cost. There can't be any real reason for this from a manufacture standpoint.
I have done all my own work from the 600 mile breakin service. Now have 46,000 and yes, I did take apart all the crap to get to the other crap. Every time I have to take off 2 things to get to the one i want to work on I feel like whoever designed it was an a$$. A prime example is the rear wheel removal procedure, in the book you remove the exhaust, I got so tire of removing the exhaust every time I needed a tire, I figured out how to get it done without taking off the pipes. Want to adjust the rear shock? Not unless you have a while, there are a few things to remove first, stupid.
That all being said, this is an amazing machine, like I said 46000 original miles and very little to maintain really.
Spark plugs are actually not that hard with the wrench provided with the tool kit. Just lift the back end of the tank.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I think alot of the maintenance as required is only to sell parts and service for those who can't work on there bike.

I don't intend to replace the plugs till valve adjustment is needed, I"ll inspect the air filter when mileage drops, I grease those zerks on the underside annually with oil changes,due to change out the coolant, a new battery next season, mine is an 08 I ride about 2500 miles a year, bike has 10K on it now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts