Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was working on my 08 VN900 Classic this weekend and was adding a brake modulator. I noticed after the installation that my right turn signal was flashing too fast. I did the usual lamp check on the back and front. Lamps seemed to be ok but I bought new ones and swapped them out. Didn't fix my problem. I checked the flasher and found no problems there. I finally re-opened the right front signal light and noticed that the reflector/bulb holder was loose as a goose inside of the housing. The signals are of course chrome plated plastic and upon removing the reflector I noticed a wire (greenish ground wire) had broken where it was soldered to the back of the bulb socket. I stripped the wire and re-soldered (my son holding the lamp socket with needle nose pliers) the wire back to the metal back of the lamp holder. I then screwed the reflector back into the housing with the help of some blue thread lock compound on the tiny screws. Works fine now!!! I was kinda surprised by the cheapness of the housings and lamp sockets. Maybe this will help someone if they are having the same problem.
Sam

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Vibration along with possible shoddy workmanship can quickly break the ground wires in signal housings. You've got to figure the manufacturer will take the cheapest/quickest route for production units out the door daily.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Your lucky the reflector was screwed in. If they could figure a way to "plastic weld" it in they could save the price of the 8 screws for the front and rear light assy. What about .02 per bike?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts