Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Would a VN900 Turbo Kit interest you?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The purpose of this thread is to keep everyone up to date on the progress of the turbo kit I am putting together.

By the end of March 2011 I hope to have a solid price for everyone.

Everything will be bolt on and installable in an afternoon. Rest asured I am trying to include everything in this kit. From replacement bolts to Powercomander III tuned file

Many of you have already seen the prototype and dyno chat. We're hoping for ~80Bhp. (maybe more *fingers crossed)

More updates to come soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just not worth it, imho. It's like putting a turbo on a V6 Mustang; you're better off just starting with a V8.
Sometimes that's just not an option. I'm up in the air about doing this. I'll need a lot more information. I always liked betting on the underdog and a turbo 900 would be sick.

It's all about what you want, and I love the way my 900 handles, but it could use more power (couldn't everything?)...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, bigger bikes just don't handle as well. The vulcan 900 custom is a great looking bike and it's nimble. The main deciding factor for me would be the way its integrated with the bike, does it seem out of place etc. And how it sounds. A sound clip of a vulcan 900 with aftermarket exhaust and a sound clip of the bike with the turbo for comparison would be great. A decent camera with a good mic or just an audio clip with a good mic so we can get a true sense of how it would sound.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A sound clip right now isn't possable, as the prototype has been litterly cut in half :-D
Doesn't sound like anything else either. The sound of the turbo spooling is just awesome. The whole "Here comes the POWER" atitude.
It is wide open exhaust to get the most out of the turbo. A mid-low pulse at idle (as there are no baffels).

Out of place? Yes and no. Does it look stock... no!

As far as cost goes, and looks for that matter.. here's a couple of tid bits:
Stainless Steel header and exhaust (powder coat black? optional +$)
Billet Aluminum intake (might anodize, any thoughts on color? clear, black, raw, to order? optional +$)
Stainless Steel oil lines
ONLY K&N Air Filter
No drilling, no cutting, all bolt on power. for ~$1800

·
soft drinks & stiff women
694 Posts
I agree, bigger bikes just don't handle as well. The vulcan 900 custom is a great looking bike and it's nimble. The main deciding factor for me would be the way its integrated with the bike, does it seem out of place etc. And how it sounds. A sound clip of a vulcan 900 with aftermarket exhaust and a sound clip of the bike with the turbo for comparison would be great. A decent camera with a good mic or just an audio clip with a good mic so we can get a true sense of how it would sound.
And adding too much power to too small of a bike also degrades the handling...balance of power and weight is key. If the bike is too light or doesn't have enough meat on the ground, all of that power is lost before it ever makes it to the ground. This is the same thing the little ricers speeding around in their Honda Civics don't get...well, that and having a huge wing on the back creates downforce on the rear tires, which takes away from the power of their front-wheel drive car...but that's another issue entirely.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
If the bike is too light or doesn't have enough meat on the ground, all of that power is lost before it ever makes it to the ground.
How do you justify that in a world of sportbikes that weigh less than a VN900, have 150 hp at the rear wheel and a 180 rear tire?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've done my best to clean it up, and the 900 doesn't give you a lot to work with.

What (in your opinion) would make it "Look" better? Because the function is all there.

Edit: And at what point does function over-power looks? Just want to know what you think

·
Sick Puppy
3,205 Posts
Do you need a heat shield between the turbo and the fuel tank? How's the comfort factor, is the new exhaust in the way?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Hayes!! (that is the prototype)

#1 No Heat shield for the tank needed (prototype)
A. Production is a smaller turbo and further away from the tank, yet tucked up a little nicer

#2 No loss in comfort

#3 did my best to pull it out of the way (prototype got a little warm on the leg, not so with production)

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
The purpose of this thread is to keep everyone up to date on the progress of the turbo kit I am putting together.
I've got no use at all for a Vulcan 900 turbo kit. Mainly because I don't have a 900. When you get the bugs out of the 900 kit, what are chances ofaking a kit for some of the larger Vulcans? More to the point, when you have one for a 1600, holler. I want one. 8)

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Don't have a 900, nor am I in the market for a turbo, but have a few questions that others might want/need to consider....

How much boost will the production version have?
Are you including a boost controller to adjust PSi?
Any idea how much boost is too much for the 900 mill?

Any noticeable lag?
What RPM does the turbo start to really spool up and make noticeable power?
How linear or abrupt is the kick when the turbo spools up?
(basically, do you need to be extra vigilant opening the throttle mid-corner?)

Right now, the exhaust dumps right to the ground, mid-bike. Any thoughts of offering one with a bend facing rearward? So those who may want (or need) some sort of muffler can mount one?

Overall, I gotta applaud you. Looks like it'll be a decent set-up for production. And a fully bolt-on turbo kit for under $2k is a very reasonable price. Just figured these were questions that consumers not used to turbo's should be asking (more so for themselves then for you)

Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got no use at all for a Vulcan 900 turbo kit. Mainly because I don't have a 900. When you get the bugs out of the 900 kit, what are chances ofaking a kit for some of the larger Vulcans? More to the point, when you have one for a 1600, holler. I want one. 8)
To answer your question simply.. 100%.

Kits are in the works for 1600 and the Yamaha Roadliner 1900.
I understand completely the feelings about the smaller bikes. This is just the one i had to work with first.
Believe me, the thirst for MORE will not stop here.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts