Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a windshield and lightbar for my 900. I would like to get the National Cycle Low Boy HD shield and the cobra lightbar. I am wondering if anyone has used this combo before and how everything fit together? I don't want to buy these two and find out they won't work with each other so any insight, thoughts, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't know about your National Cycle low boy and Cobra combination.

I do have an '07 900 Classic LT with the Kawasaki windshield. I ordered a Kawasaki light bar and engine guards, which should obvious go together with the windshield, but after waiting delivery for four months, let them talk me into going with the Cobra light bar and highway bars. Don't know what happened, but when I took the bike in for their shop to put them on, they somehow came up with a Kawasaki light bar, but still only had the Cobra highway bars. That combination didn't work. The bar, of course worked with the windshield, however, the the down-hanging turn signals hit the Cobra highway bars!! They then suggested putting on a Cobra light bar where the turn signals stick out instead of hang down. I told them that was what I had agreed to anyway. End result -- everything -- the Kawasaki windshield, Cobra light bar, and Cobra highway bars fit great!! I'm actually happier with the highway bars than I would have been with the Kawasaki engine guards. Now I can put on some highway pegs!! The outward position of the turn signals also give a wider stance to on coming traffic, which I hope is more eyecatching and visible than the narrow stance of the down hanging turn signals. I don't know if Cobra makes more than one light bar, but the one I got has a big downward bend in the middle to clear the Headlight. There's plenty of adjustment room between the spotlights and the windshield.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That lightbar looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the dealer charge to install them? I can see I'll be putting a lighbar on mine, but probably not until the spring.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just noticed your bike is the exact same color as mine. Is it a 2007? Also, your seat looks stock, but the saddles aren't. What type of saddles are these?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I mentioned I had waited four months for delivery of the bars which I paid for when I bought the bike. Because of the long delay and "letting" them talk me into going to the Cobras instead of the Kawasakis I ordered, I talked them into putting everything on, including the initial installing and removing the Kawasaki light bar that wouldn't work with the Cobra highway bars for no cost!!

It's cost me more, but I've found I've avoided a lot of headaches, even though I'm a fairly good mechanic (worked my way through my senior year in college as one and dropped a hemi in my '48 Merc along with a lot of other fiddling on all my and my kid's vehicles) if I have the dealer install items of questionable compatibility. I had them install the light bar (which I bought from them with the assurance it would fit) on the VN800 I previously owned and it took them two and a half days and a change in the mounting location from that in the light bar's directions, before they could get it to fit around the Memphis Shade that was on the bike, but they did it and did a good job for the original quote!! Having them do the mounting change also warranted the soundness and safety of the modification, both for the light bar and the bike.

By saddles, are you talking about the bags? If so, they're studded LeatherLyke Cross Countries. I changed out the stock LT bags because I wanted locking bags and was happy with my experience with the LeatherLykes I had put on my VN800. I went through all my reasons for going to the LeatherLykes in another string on this site. I'm attaching two pixs which better show the bags. They were taken before I had the bars put on. I also figure the LeatherLyke will require less loving care than the real leather originals to keep the bags in good shape.

Yes mine's an '07 too and the saddle is still the stock. Will be replacing it with a Mustang (which I had on my VN800 and loved) or a Corbin before I try a 3,000+ mile round trip ride to Seattle.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Signals hit the guard????

The bar, of course worked with the windshield, however, the the down-hanging turn signals hit the Cobra highway bars!!
Hard to imagine the lights being so low they hit the highway bar. You'd almost have to hang the bar in the wrong place to get them that low?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Slightly different route

I went with a National Cycle Switchblade windshield....it is the mid height one of the three they offer for the bike. It has made quite a difference although I think I need a small set of lowers to take care of some lower buffetting.

I am actually waiting for someone to install a light bar on a custom so I can see what it looks like. Most of my friends think I should have bought a 900 Classic instead since I am decking the custom out like one....but I sure love the forward controls and oh that skinny front tire and rim......

I would go out and take pics at the moment but it is -25C...and with the windchill today it is -34C....I really don't prefer winter. :)

D

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I asked this before, too. I have the custom world lights, which mount to the stock light bar. I think the OEM Kaw sheild is just way to huge and I'd really like a Memphis fats or Nat cycle tombstone style instead.

I don't have the cash to drop right now, though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The rake of the front assembly causes the handlebars and anything associated, like light bars and attached signal lights which on the Kawasaki light bar, hang down from the light bar, to angle downward when cranked toward the right or left side stop. I'm sure you've seen how close the hand grips can get to the fuel tank when the bars are turned to either stop. Because of this, when they called and told me of the problem, I could envision the problem and didn't question it even though I didn't actually see it.

The problem supposedly only occurred at the extremes of turning the handle bars like when you're trying to turn the bike under leg power or parking it and trying to lock the stem. Regardless of the time and/or frequency of this extreme movement, in addition to not being able to lock the stem, I could see where one hard mistake could end up dropping the bike and/or damaging the turn signal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts