Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Ive read most if not all of the threads re the O2 eliiminator wiring for the VN900 and also seen the pictures. I am unable to make out which of the 2 connectors have the 330 ohm resistor across them out of the choice of 4 in each plug. Has anyone that has done this have the colour of the wires or can indicate an alternate way to find them.
Im a little worried to put a 1/4 watt resistor across the wrong wires and perhaps blow the ECU.

The dealer that fitted the Vance & Hines Exhaust was full of doom and gloom when he had nowhere to plug them in and an email to Vance has gone unaswered so far.

Thanks for all of your help in the forums.

Don

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
looking at the plugs as they're attached to the bike, each plug should have some female sockets on the front (which plugged into the male plugs attached to the O2 sensors on the pipes.
At the back of the O2 sensors attached to the bike, there should be a few different coloured wires. Of these, it's the 2 white wires coming out of it that we need to link together with the resisitor.

you want to attach the 330ohm resistor across those 2 white wires to complete the circuit and stop the FI light coming on.

so you'll need:
2 x 330ohm resistors (1 resistor for each plug)
4 x spade-type connectors (2 for each resisitor)

crimp a connector to each end of the resistor, so that you can plug one male prong of the connector into one female socket on the O2 plug which the white wire comes out of.....

then bend the resistor so that you can plug the other end of the resistor into the other female socket on the O2 plug connected to the other white wire.

repeat with the other O2 sensor, wrap them up with some electrical tape and tuck away under the side cover.

Forgive the not too great pictures, but you should be able to figure out how this works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks.

Many thanks for the extra info. I'm just going to the bike now to fit those resistors and solve the F1 problem.
You guys are just great, I hope I can help out others someday soon.

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All sorted now. Sun is shining and off for a ride.

Thanks again.

Don

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
good good.

where in the world are you? I'm guessing Europe cos of the O2 sensors...
but not London cos it's not sunny :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in West Oxford just about on the gates of Blenhiem Place in Woodstock.

Cheers

Don

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
ahhhh, and you have sun there?!

ba$tard! :lol:

hope ya got a good ride in.
So what pipes have you bought if you're skipping the O2 sensors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vance & Hines, real headache job. If I had known how loud I would have paid the extra for new originals. Ordered then because dropped the bike on the ice just after Christmas and put a small scar on the underside of cans. Front crash bar saved the day from further damage. My own fault as should have left it in the garage but traffic into Oxford is evil in the morning so I'd rather get cold. This drop has cost over £600 so far inc fitting by dealer. I wont be doing that again!

Cheers

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
were new originals more expensive than the V&H pipes??

wow.
I believe you can buy baffles for the V&H if you don't like the loudness.
Just be grateful you didn't get the Cobra Shorts (that i've got) though, as they're louder than the V&H.

I did the same as you a year ago, and scarred the underside of my bottom Cobra pipe. Hit a patch of ice at about 7mph. Engine guard saved the tank etc and didn't even get a scratch on the guard itself...

I bought some metal polish compounds and smoothed the bottom pipe's scratches out a little. I know it's still there and it bugs me, but it's barely visible to bystanders. And i know that as soon as i put a new pipe on, something similar will happen!! :toetap:

:shock: £600 :shock:
did you not try to fit the pipes yourself?
if you can do that 330ohm resistor trick you can fit the pipes yourself... just a word of advice for future reference :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer quoted £1100 for both cans as not sold individually. V & H came in at a little under £500 inc. shipping and dealer fit was £100 bar a few pennies.

As an ex electrical engineer I have no problem with electronics if I have the information but unless a dire emergency would prefer a dealer to get his hands dirty especially as the bike is only 6 months old.

I also subscribe to the belief that we need dealers to stay in business, much like the corner shop. Im not adverse to saving money but I do it by buying at the right price and then paying my dealer to fit the components for me.

Where this falls down is when they do not have the technical expertise to overcome non standard kit. Thats why these forums are so valuable to many of us, The accumulated knowledge is far beyond that of any dealer or workshop.

In summary I know your right about cost but its not an area that I want to save on but thank god for those that do and pass on their knowledge to the rest of us. The time and effort that many spend in detailing fixes is so welcome.

I had a call from a dealer tonight that supplied the cans and he may have an alternate method to lose the F1 light problem. If this proves succesful I will post the results here as it wont entail any electronic knowledge or cost. Its a wait and see when he gets back to me with the info for the moment but it looks promising.

Cheers all and thanks again.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Dealer quoted £1100 for both cans as not sold individually. V & H came in at a little under £500 inc. shipping and dealer fit was £100 bar a few pennies.

As an ex electrical engineer I have no problem with electronics if I have the information but unless a dire emergency would prefer a dealer to get his hands dirty especially as the bike is only 6 months old.

I also subscribe to the belief that we need dealers to stay in business, much like the corner shop. Im not adverse to saving money but I do it by buying at the right price and then paying my dealer to fit the components for me.

Where this falls down is when they do not have the technical expertise to overcome non standard kit. Thats why these forums are so valuable to many of us, The accumulated knowledge is far beyond that of any dealer or workshop.

In summary I know your right about cost but its not an area that I want to save on but thank god for those that do and pass on their knowledge to the rest of us. The time and effort that many spend in detailing fixes is so welcome.

I had a call from a dealer tonight that supplied the cans and he may have an alternate method to lose the F1 light problem. If this proves succesful I will post the results here as it wont entail any electronic knowledge or cost. Its a wait and see when he gets back to me with the info for the moment but it looks promising.

Cheers all and thanks again.
interesting and fair points i suppose regarding the rest of your post...
i guess as i have little mechanical experience, i like the idea of seeing how bits of the bike work... and for what's effectively undoing a few screws and bolts, taking 2 pipes off, putting 2 new pipes on, and re-doing the screws and bolts, i see it as a fun morning's activity :)
I wouldn't try and change my cylinder head gaskets on my own though!! :lol:

but £1100 for just the stock exhaust??!?!?!?!
that's 1/5 of the bike's value!!! :eek:

geez louise!!
that's daylight frikkin robbery!
i hope that extra £100 on top of the grand was for the fitting...

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No.. Afraid not £1100 for the exhausts only. 2 Hours labour @£42.50/hr plus VAT £14.88 A grand total of £99.88.
Taken straight from the invoice.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ive reasonlty brought a VN900 classic and ive already decided that the stock pipe are far to quite so i ordered a set of Vance and Hines from amercia. Im wondering about the O2 sensors and the resistor fix.. Has anyone experanced and long term problems with this fix..? thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi James,

Firstly, I have a set of V and H pipes here that I removed after 200 miles. They are far too loud for me and gave me headaches after short journeys.

Having gone back to stock pipes I can say that the bike runs a lot smoother, no backfiring on deceleration (very minor problem).

In order to solve the O2 problem properly and not just eliminate the fault light you need to either have the pipes drilled and a threaded boss fitted in order to put the O2 sensors back in or spend £300 for the new (dont get the old) ECU plus a tuning fee to set up.

All other options explored just put out the light.

I hope this helps

Don McIntyre

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
I've had the 330ohm resistors in for 2 years and over 12,000 miles and had no issues whatsoever.

I've also heard the V&H and they're not that loud.
But with any aftermarket exhaust... hell, even for general riding... you should always wear earplugs or the wind reverberation inside your helmet will damage your hearing.
baffle or no baffle, stock exhaust or aftermarket. wear earplugs when riding.

that being said, the V&H have a great sound, aren't as loud as my Cobras, and i think you'll be very happy with them.

The resistor fix is cheap and easy and trouble-free.

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks ( CBASEDESIGN and INSOLENTMINX ) for your replys.. I think ile do the resistor fix for now then if youve had no problems with it..

Ive heard the Vance and Hines on youtube and they make a nice sound..
Wouldnt it be smart if they gave the VN a longer stroke....

Im looking to get a hypercharger next for it then i think ile look into getting the overdrive pulleys for it.. I think they should of given the VN six gears cause it revs high on the motorway....

Thanks guys

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
the V&H do make a nice sound.
they're a little deeper than my Cobras, but not as loud.
i don't like the look of them though

don't forget a fuel manager if you get the hypercharger as well as the pipes.
i found that it helped the bike run a lot smoother.

i also don't get bothered by the bike revving... but that's just me.
it's designed to rev highly and it makes it a lot of fun :biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your post.I put different exhaust on my bike and left the sensors just hanging.No fi light on because thet were still connected but sensors get hot and I wanted them removed.Went to Maplins got resistors and spade connectors(got wrong size but mechanic used correct ones).Got local mechanic to remove o2 sensors when he fitted fuel controller and barons big air kit.Works fine no fi light on dash.This is probably all that they put in those plug in ones that cost so much more money .Again thanks for your post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts