Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
!996 Voyger Xll 7,000 miles runs and handles great but if you don't hold firm on handle bars the front end starts to shake very hard. You can't hold it. Has anyon else experienced this, Is there a fix?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree with bob-check inflation,balance,loose spokes and bearing :wink:
usually its a tire issue :D

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
FRONT END SHAKE

I agree with the tire internal problem...not noticed till you get it rotating to a certain speed. First though, stand over the bike and hold the front brake to keep the bike from rolling and try to push and pull the bike back and forth to see if anything is wrong visually...you shouldn't see anything move from side-to-side or feel anything other than the front forks smoothly compressing and expanding...IF you do then you have a problem somewhere in the front end...but MY money would be on the tire. I had a problem with an old Honda 450 (okay, real long time ago) but even on the centerstand and someone settong on the bike holding the back end down, you could spin the front tire and not see ANY freeplay, or any deflection from the sidewalls or tread. We decided to blow the tire way up, because the front end seemed ok and the tire was slightly worn anyway, to 50PSI...and then you could see some deflection...I DO NOT THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD IDEA....DANGER>>>DANGER...You could mess up more than a rim, and even get hurt doing this! I'd buy a new front tire, a tire that you really would put your life on...really!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kawasaki voyger front end shake

Thanks for all the input, but I put new tires on replaced original Dunlap with Metzeler ME 880 The shop found no problems. On the wizards premier
Kawasaki page I found a note that this was a common problem and there was a fix (fork brace) but I can't find one for the bike. Has anyone heard of this, and if so where I can get one.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
FORK BRACE

Dennis Kirk denniskirk.com but they are (of course)sold by fork size/mm and fairly expensive (but less than replacing the bike, or time healing).

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Fork BRACE

:shock: Might want to run it through BEARTOOTH FIRST...I guess that we caught it before their website observer did!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Voyager Xll front end

Just a FYI I got the front end fixed
Found two problems
#1 low on fork oil (low from factory)
#2 bearings not tight (again must have came from factory loose)

anyway handles great now.

Thanks Len :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
RIDING IN FEBRUARY

Sounds like Uncle Bob needs a little 2 stroke with ice spikes in its tires or perhaps studded snow/ice tires just to keep him on his toes...and fill the winter void of action on two wheels (most of the time anyway.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts