Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Could someone help me, Pleeeeeeese!!! I have a 2005 Vulcan 1500 classic FI. It has about 15000 miles on it now. I ride it just about every day that it doesn't rain. Over the past few months it has become harder to start. It turns over with no problem but it takes longer and longer to kick off. It runs like crap for a few minutes then runs normal. I have to pull the fast idle knob all the way out until it is fully warm or it won’t idle. To me, it smells like it runs rich all the time. It should be running lean because I have done nothing to the fuel injection and I changed the pipes when I first bought it. Anyway, I tried to start it one day about 2 weeks ago and I ran the battery down trying. I had to put a charger on it and finally got it started. It spit, sputtered, choked, and coughed really bad for a minute then started to run fine. It blew some black smoke during the spitting and sputtering but I think that was from the unburned fuel. It ran ok until the other day when it did the same thing. I have had a battery tender on it for about 2 or 3 months (when not running, of course). Could it be a battery problem? When I put a big charger to it, “Engine Start” setting, I can get it started. After it starts, and gets past the spitting and sputtering, you can kill it and it will start back up with one tap of the starter button every time. The plugs look good and I just put some Sea Foam in the tank. Other than that, I’m out of ideas. I really need to buy a service manual.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
The seafoam may help. However motorcycle batteries are not usually lasting too long and the symptoms you describe could be from a weak battery. They could also come from dirty injectors but that wouldn't normally clear after running a few minutes.Try putting the trickle charger on it when you get home from work and start it right after you disconnect the charger. My guess would be the battery.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It sounds like the throttle body may had carbon build-up. Check it out and clean. I'm wondering if the fast-idle solenoids are working; have you removed them or adjusted your idle lately? Vince is correct that the battery may now be too weak. I'd check the battery terminals also and clean and tighten. If you add Seafoam, run the bike hard and keep the rpm's high when shifting; that should help the carbon build-up some.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I have been thinking that the battery is getting weak. I think I will try changing the spark plugs first while the seafoam is doing its thing. Than if it's still doing it, I'll change the battery. I don't want to spend the money on a battery ($150) if I don't have to. The fast-idle solenoids seem to be working. If you run the engine with the right-side intake cover off, you can hear them clicking like crazy. I also shot some Seafoam into the intake to try to de-gunk the valves. What can I use to clean the throttle boby? I know that on some intakes on auto engines, you can't use carberator cleaner because it will mess up the sensors. Is ther anything in mine like that?

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts