Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im new here and from reading on the net it apears KAW have a problem with early 1500s so maybe someone can send me in the right direction!

Bike is a 1997 Kaw 1500 Vulcan classic ive had it a few months it only has 18,000 miles on it and it lost oil pressure while ridding on the freeway, on getting back to my shop i found the engine does turn and run but no pressure so i turned it off.

What is the fix and is there a recall from Kaw on this that i can take it to a dealer for them to fix?

Thx in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
From 1987 through 1999, all Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 models, except the Drifter, were built with a plastic oil pump gear. IT FAILS FREQUENTLY!

Go to Kawasaki.com and register your bike's VIN via the process there, and then look for any service recalls.

While there, take a look at the parts diagrams for your bike. The gear is listed in the section on the Oil Pump. The part has been superseded at least three times, so when you get a replacement, do not get any new old stock part or you will be back where you are when it fails.

It is not a tough fix, but you will want a service/repair manual, then review the process to see if it is something you wish to tackle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it is your gear unless you use the jog or judges gear you will have to split the cases and I would say that is a tough and expensive fix! check on gadget fix page and it will explain every thing. I just put the judges steel gear in as a premaintenace step to replace the plastic one. When you use one of the judges or jogs you do not have to spiklt the cases and can do it your self in 3 or 4 hours As suggested I replaced cluth spring with a meanie spring and used the judges washers while in there. Kawasaki did but no longer covers this so if you pay a dealer your looking at least 2500 dollars The site on vroc gadget page has complete instructions and a history of this problem. The cost of the Jog is 240 and the washers are 30 dollars. The meanie clutch spring is 16 dollars and the gasket is 16 dollars

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys for your help and good info, check Kaw site and no warranty or recalls so im on my own.

Im a engine builder/tunner mainly BBC's 900+ cubes of Sonny's Semi-Hemi engines and have done a few MC engines back in the 80's so i think ill strip the whole motor as it semi siezed on the freeway, although i dont see much metal particals in the oil or filter as the oil isny flowing im thinking that means bearing problems as something got hot and siezed, maybe piston to cylinders!

Can you sugest the best place for parts? gaskets, rings, bearing ECT

Thx Andy M

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cheap Cycle Parts,Bike Bandit,Ron Ayers They have factory parts as well as aftermarket parts. Very quick delievery time from cheap cycle and bike bandit I have not used Ron Ayers but many who have done engine repair as I have seen on several sites have used all 3 Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize the previous posts on the Vulcan 1500 Plastic Oil Gear (POG) issues go back a ways, but I'll proceed for those with related issues. My POG went in my 97 Vulcan 1500. I went the route of drilling the 1 1/4 inch hole to access the circlip for removal and replaced with a steel gear. The new steel gear is installed, but I haven't reassembled everything yet. Premature to what may be the final outcome, I will mention at this point, drilling the hole to remove circlip and installing the steel replacement gear "seems to be" a much better and cheaper way to go than splitting the case or the Judges Oil Gear. In essence cutting the hole and splitting the case bring the exact same result; except cutting the hole is way cheaper and way faster. The instructions and video for the whole "hole procedure" are spot on A to Z. For paupers like me I hope this brings a little sunshine. God Bless.

·
Super Moderator
10,662 Posts
I realize the previous posts on the Vulcan 1500 Plastic Oil Gear (POG) issues go back a ways, but I'll proceed for those with related issues. My POG went in my 97 Vulcan 1500. I went the route of drilling the 1 1/4 inch hole to access the circlip for removal and replaced with a steel gear. The new steel gear is installed, but I haven't reassembled everything yet. Premature to what may be the final outcome, I will mention at this point, drilling the hole to remove circlip and installing the steel replacement gear "seems to be" a much better and cheaper way to go than splitting the case or the Judges Oil Gear. In essence cutting the hole and splitting the case bring the exact same result; except cutting the hole is way cheaper and way faster. The instructions and video for the whole "hole procedure" are spot on A to Z. For paupers like me I hope this brings a little sunshine. God Bless.
Cool beans! I haven't heard of anyone replacing a POG in a very long time. I'm curious, does your bike have an oil screen down by the right foot peg?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts