Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a low mileage
'02 Vulcan 1600 Classic. I like it so far, but am looking to mount a fairing/windshield for more protection (it had a small handlebar mounted windshield - not enough.)
Looking for something that will be good for day trips at highway speeds. Any opinions on the Batwing style or others? Also looking for a luggage rack. I've seen there is a Cobra that will fit if I also get a Cobra sissy bar, but the rack seems to be out of stock everywhere I look (I've mostly been looking on Dennis Kirk and J & P.) Any suggestions on other racks that will fit, and/or where to find them?
Thanks for any tips you may have.
-Jason

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
I'm not a batwing guy but folks I know that have added them really like them. I had a Memphis Shades wind shield and fork lowers on an '03 1500 Classic and really liked the setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought a low mileage
'02 Vulcan 1600 Classic. I like it so far, but am looking to mount a fairing/windshield for more protection (it had a small handlebar mounted windshield - not enough.)
Looking for something that will be good for day trips at highway speeds. Any opinions on the Batwing style or others? Also looking for a luggage rack. I've seen there is a Cobra that will fit if I also get a Cobra sissy bar, but the rack seems to be out of stock everywhere I look (I've mostly been looking on Dennis Kirk and J & P.) Any suggestions on other racks that will fit, and/or where to find them?
Thanks for any tips you may have.
-Jason
G'Day
For what it's worth, I own a VN1600 Classic purchased new in 2003 and have OEM screens fitted. When I purchased the bike I found out that Kawasaki made three different size screens for the Classic i.e. small, medium and full size. I use the small screen in the summer months here but change to the full screen in winter. It is a very easy task to change screens with the only tool required being a hex. allen key. The hardware for each of the three OEM screens is the same, so if you can acquire an OEM screen you can buy a pre-drilled after market screen [eg Rifle etc] of your choice in terms of size to fit the OEM architecture. I would recommend the fitment of an OEM screen as they fit easily and are very effective. I have tried after market screens on my other Vulcans but went to an OEM screen for ease of fitting and removal. I have never felt the need to fit lowers to the OEM screens.
With regard to the sissy bar I have an OEM on my VN1600 but Kawasaki did not make a luggage rack for it when I purchased the bike so I had to get one custom made from RHS that was then chrome plated. It looks great and works well. I can send a pic if required. If I had not already purchased an OEM sissy bar I would have opted for a Cobra sissy bar and rack.
Good luck and enjoy the VN1600 a absolutely fantastic shaft dive bike.
Laurence

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G'Day
For what it's worth, I own a VN1600 Classic purchased new in 2003 and have OEM screens fitted. When I purchased the bike I found out that Kawasaki made three different size screens for the Classic i.e. small, medium and full size. I use the small screen in the summer months here but change to the full screen in winter. It is a very easy task to change screens with the only tool required being a hex. allen key. The hardware for each of the three OEM screens is the same, so if you can acquire an OEM screen you can buy a pre-drilled after market screen [eg Rifle etc] of your choice in terms of size to fit the OEM architecture. I would recommend the fitment of an OEM screen as they fit easily and are very effective. I have tried after market screens on my other Vulcans but went to an OEM screen for ease of fitting and removal. I have never felt the need to fit lowers to the OEM screens.
With regard to the sissy bar I have an OEM on my VN1600 but Kawasaki did not make a luggage rack for it when I purchased the bike so I had to get one custom made from RHS that was then chrome plated. It looks great and works well. I can send a pic if required. If I had not already purchased an OEM sissy bar I would have opted for a Cobra sissy bar and rack.
Laurence
Thank you, very helpful. (BTW, typo in my initial post: typed 2002 instead of 2003 Vulcan 1600.) I will look into the OEM screens - see if I can find one, and go from there.
I bought the bike with an OEM sissy bar, but have also found that the Cobra sissy bar/luggage rack is the only set up I can find that will fit without customization.
It's already winter here in Upstate, New York, so I have plenty of time to get myself set up by Spring!
I do like the bike so far. If you've made any other changes to your bike that you would recommend, I'd certainly like to hear about them, at your convenience.
Thanks again,
Jason
G'Day
Laurence

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'Day Jason
I like to keep my bikes with all original accessories and in addition to the screen I have had fitted engine crash bars, Ranger saddle bags and pillion foot boards to replace the standard pillion foot pegs. The only non OEM accessories fitted include a sheepskin seat covers for both the rider and pillion seats and a bag [American Rider] for the rear luggage rack. All accessories have proven their worth over the years especially in terms of rider comfort. I hope the attached pic is of help.
Cheers
Laurence

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts