Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info on the recalls for this bike? There have been 3 so far.
1. Radiator Fuse - This one was easy, they just sent the fuse and a sticker and I installed it.
2. Defective Oil Filter - My dealer tells me that there's an adapter and then a new filter housing with an element that replaces the standard spin-on filter.
This one bothers me - I like the convenience of the spin-on filter.
3. Defective Muffler Hanger - My dealer tells me that they need to weld on an additonal reinforcing piece. I'm not that excited about having my relatively new bike welded on.

My dealer has ordered the parts for #2 and #3. As soon as the snow melts here in WI I'll take the bike in for that work.

Has anyone had that work done yet? How did it go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The only recall I had was about the muffler and since I put on aftermarket pipes, I didn't have to do anything with that one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
:evil: Dont let them weld anything. Met another 1600 classic owner sunday and he had an earlier serial number and the dealer replaced the mufflers, cost to kawasaki aprox 500 dollars. Late 03 have the improved bracket. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
syscrusher said:
How do I know if my 1600 is in the late 2003 category?
Serial numbers?
Umm, you aren't sure if you bought a 2003 model? When did you buy it and did your dealer sell it as a 2004 model? If so, then there is no way you would have an older model.

Oh yeah, how does your horn look like? Is it a round one or more like a square? 2004 model has the round one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that I have a 2003, but mention was made that late 2003 VN1600 has an improved exhaust bracket.

Beyond what range of Serial Numbers would you have a late 2003 bike?

Actually I think mine was sold to the previous owner in the early part of the year in 2003.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My s/n is 53xx, the horn was a piece of crap. I can see why they changed it then. My horn. is round top, rectangle opening. I replaced it with a chrome aftermarket. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Recall

Just had the muffler recall done. They didn't mention anything about welding... Said they added another bracket...???!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts