Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious if anyone has any feedback if they have switched their stock
rear 170's to a wider 190 or 200? The V2000 has a 200 width that comes stock on it and I believe it also fits on the 1700 classic.. thx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Darkside

Was curious if anyone has any feedback if they have switched their stock
rear 170's to a wider 190 or 200? The V2000 has a 200 width that comes stock on it and I believe it also fits on the 1700 classic.. thx
I have a 1700 Nomad and in about another 1000 miles I plan on having a 205/70x16 Goodyear Assurance installed on the back. The smallest clearance is about 0.095 where the belt passes the tire. The byproduct of this change as it will match the speedo with the GPS.

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, not much of a gap- let me know how those goodyears work out..

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
It will also lower mileage, reduce maneuverability and acceleration while increasing straight line stability. Why? Additional rolling resistance will reduce mileage, wider tires require a wee bit more lean, the larger contact patch is more stable in a straight line and requires more force to spin the tire due to greater contact resistance. IMHO... But it will look good!

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Concur it will ding the fuel efficiency a tad... to some that may be a small price to pay for the increase in load capacity, stability, tread longevity, and grip traction u get.... and oh yes, it will LOOK GOOD!

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you want to go up a size on your bike then there is a lot of experience out there. All of the Nomads (usually) run the 170/70H-16, which not a lot of companies make. The next size upgrade would be a 180/70-16 which there is a lot of choices. Anything above that I have to ask the question (?) Why?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It will also lower mileage, reduce maneuverability and acceleration while increasing straight line stability. Why? Additional rolling resistance will reduce mileage, wider tires require a wee bit more lean, the larger contact patch is more stable in a straight line and requires more force to spin the tire due to greater contact resistance. IMHO... But it will look good!
Have you rode a bike with a car tire??? Doesn't sound like it. You're welcome to your opinion though.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Stan, how are you going to know what clearance you have before you mount the tire? I'm sure you know tire profiles can change depending on the width of the rim they are mounted on. Info from someone who's already done it? Just curious...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts