Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this in the Touring section, but would appreciate some feedback from the Cruisers section as well... Thanks!

Ok... so coming off a 2009 900 Vulcan after putting about 16K miles on her, I had to sell her. But will be ready for a new bike soon, and even though I really loved the 900, I would like to "upgrade" to something bigger and more comfortable for me and a passenger on longer trips. So far, I have my eye on the Vulcan 1700 LT. However, I also like the notion of a Sport Tourer (comfort and sportiness)... and the C-14 seems hard to beat in its category for the price, and is also a beautiful and technically advanced bike.

My question is this... which bike would be more comfortable for long trips (several days), weekend trips, and several hours at a time riding locally, in the mountains and through cities.

I like the cruiser look, and have heard good things about the 1700's comfort and power, plus the ability to really personalize cruisers is nice. But, on the 900, I always scraped the floorboards on twisties, and wished it had more passing power at times.

I really like the Sport Tourer look of the C-14as well, and of course, no shortage of power and ability to take the twisties a little better than a cruiser, which I really wish I was able to do on the 900, but wasn't able to, due to the limited clearance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about going overboard and maniacal on the twisties, but just a little more spirited on the twisties.

Also, how comfortable would the bikes be for the passenger and myself on long trips, spending several hours on the bike, and for several days. I found the 900 bearable but certainly not very comfortable during some long trips I took.

Finally, what kind of change can I expect with either bike coming from the Vulcan 900. I have ridden bigger cruisers, including the Yamaha Stratoliner, which was very smooth and well balanced, so I kind of have an idea about the larger Vulcan, but what about a C-14? How does it differ from what I'm used to (Cruisers)?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

- Albert

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just coming back from the dealer and sitting on the 1700 nomad.... That would be a winner for me. I tried the C-14 and just plain can't happen for my ergos. I couldn't turn my feet in far enough to say I would be able to keep them on the tiny foot pegs when I hit a bump. I guess this country boy aint built for it. Sooo I know persoanlly my step up will be the 1700!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
The C14 offers much better wind protection. hard bags and all of touring amenities. Once you take a trip on a tour/sport touring bike you will quickly forget cruisers.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I haven't ridden either bike, but used to own a Vulcan 2000 and currently ride a ZX-14 and personally speaking given the two choices....I'd take the C-14.

I just found (again just speaking personally) that once honeymoon of owning a big powerful chrome clad cool looking cruiser wore off.......that the "sportier" type rides (while choosing a comfortable one) has provided me with so much more of a pure riding experiance than any of my cruisers ever could.

My Wife has said she will never own another cruiser (this after putting a season of riding in on her new VFR800), and while I wouldn't take it quite that far I can guarantee that I would never again own only a cruiser, nor be without a "sportier" type bike.

But hey, we're all different and all looking for a personal experiance in a ride. What gets me off, may not get everyone else off.

Whatever you choose, be true to your heart.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
The C14 offers much better wind protection. hard bags and all of touring amenities. Once you take a trip on a tour/sport touring bike you will quickly forget cruisers.
Except a backrest for the wife. Though I do believe you can get a trunk that will work as one.

If the C14 is anything like my ZX-14, you'll be in heaven riding the thing. Tons of power, buttery smooth, instantaneous response to your steering inputs - EDIT: forgot to include the INCREDIBLE brakes :biggrin: -...the C14 will be a bit more comfortable than the ZX, though I found it a bit tall and a bit top heavy for me. May also consider a Yami FJR1300 and Honda ST1300. I liked the Yami the best of the actual sport touring bikes when I looked earlier this summer (though I never got to ride any...just sitting on them). Ended up pretty much flipping a coin between it and the ZX...

If you can get a test ride, that'd obviously be best. Otherwise, take the wifey and have her sit on both. Good luck.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Yeah, what Carlo said...they are just totally different in their approach to riding. Having switched from a cruiser to a ST, I find the weather protection far better on the ST. I had screen, lowers and chaps on it but would still get weather coming in. On the ST, I don't get wet in light rain, and also find it much warmer on chilly days.

Seating/riding position would be the big thing to get past, and it kept me from considering it initially. I had a similar problem to you though, scraping floorboards. I eventually made the leap and adjusted to it fine. i'd own a cruiser again, but not as my primary bike. I like the ST better.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your replies... the "pure riding experience" is a high consideration for me... that's the main reason I ride.

A concern of mine is the lack of a passenger backrest on the C-14, but I have seen some Corbin (are they still in business?) options to this that look both very nice and comfortable.

I did sit on an 2009 c14 just because it was there at a dealership... and I remember thinking, "hmm... interesting", in a good way. I certainly have to revisit and hopefully test ride one.

Interesting (and good) to hear about the better weather/wind protection with the c14.... I would've thought just the opposite.

How about the rider and passenger positions, are they long-trip friendly? I see the position is really different, probably even more so for the passenger... just wondering how this is after a few hours in comparison to a cruiser...

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the input!

- Albert

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Thanks all for your replies... the "pure riding experience" is a high consideration for me... that's the main reason I ride.

A concern of mine was the lack of a backrest, but I have seen some Corbin (are they still in business?) options to this that look both very nice and comfortable.

I did sit on an 2009 c14 just because it was there at a dealership... and I remember thinking, "hmm... interesting", in a good way. I certainly have to revisit and hopefully test ride one.

Interesting (and good) to hear about the better weather/wind protection with the c14.... I would've thought just the opposite.

How about the rider and passenger positions, are they long-trip friendly? I see the position is really different, probably even more so for the passenger... just wondering how this is after a few hours in comparison to a cruiser...

Thanks again everyone! I really appreciate the input!

- Albert
First off...my comments weren't about the C-14 specifically. I happen to have a C-10 and a buddy with a Yami FJR. Both of us are enjoying them after having come from the cruisers. However, the riding position is different and took both of us a little getting used to.

IMHO, you won't need a backrest. The riding position is just not built for it. However, for the passenger, a MUST is a trunk case with a built-in backrest on it. My wife found the C-10 a little windier, but more comfortable overall from my 1500 Classic. The seat was far more comfortable, and she liked being up a bit higher. I really can't explain, but she was never comfortable on the Classic and would freak in turns. On the C-10, I can move along at better corner speeds and she doesn't mind nearly as much. we've not tried the C14.

Get the tallest screen you can find for it.

Some people add risers. My C-10 had them on it when I bought it (used), but after taking them off, I found the riding position more comfortable.

Peg lowers are the same way.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Again, never ridden the C-14, but I've toured enough on my ZX14 (including a 2 week 5000km trip) to know I love this riding position. I had my old V2K set up pretty well for long rides, and aside from the added stress on my wrists....my body loves this new riding position far better than the one on the oled cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Can't help with the C14 specifically but can with STs in general. This thread starts by saying, "Some folks have asked, so here are some observations. For those not familiar, I sold my '04 1500 Classic and took delivery of an '07 Yamaha FJR last Wednesday morning. Today I rode about 175 miles of twisties, winding country roads and superslab highways." Ignore the drama on the first page, I just had a bug up my butt that day, as explained at the end of post #17.

This thread is a little more.

I hope it helps. I know better than than most the difficulty of going from a cruiser to an ST, trying to decide which one, etc., etc. I agonized for quite a while.

Good luck!!

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
As most have indicated, the ride is totally different. An ST is not about chrome and noise. The emphasis is comfort, protection, smoothness and performance. The difference is quite astounding. For me personally, I found the riding position on the ST far more comfortable than my 1600.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I just fell hopelessly and completely in love!!!!
That C-14 is the most amazingly beautiful thing i've ever seen!!
Hey!! WTH?!? You said that about my bike last weekend!! I am so crushed :cry:

Besides, they don't look that good in person. The camera has a magical way of buffing scratches, straightening dents and somehow washing & waxing them. Doesn't work with Yamis tho :-D :-D

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just fell hopelessly and completely in love!!!!
That C-14 is the most amazingly beautiful thing i've ever seen!!
Yes, is it not! It is a thing of beauty... I'm really leaning in the direction of the C-14.... pun intended ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sport Tourer

Your talking about a complete different riding position . The C14 stiill has a sporty riding stance . This is uncomfortable to me for a long ride it puts alot more pressure on your wrist and back . I think you should test ride one or a similiar bike before you buy one .

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rbentail, thanks a lot for your input and the links - very informative!

I'm quickly finding that it seems for pure riding enjoyment, performance and comfort, the ST's are the way to go. Cruisers still have a place in my heart and soul though, it was my first, but first and foremost for me is the ride itself, and if the ST models can bring that level up a bit (with performance, comfort and smoothness) from the Cruiser level, which I really enjoyed btw, then that's a huge plus!

I'm really liking the ST more and more as I see and learn more about them.

I definitely want to test ride one before I make a decision though. So far I've heard that they are overall more comfortable than Cruisers on long trips... I'm not very demanding - rode the 900 on several long trips, the longest being a week-long 2500+ mile trip, but more comfort would be nice :)

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your talking about a complete different riding position . The C14 stiill has a sporty riding stance . This is uncomfortable to me for a long ride it puts alot more pressure on your wrist and back . I think you should test ride one or a similiar bike before you buy one .
Thanks razor... this concerned me as well, which is why I wanted some feedback from those who've taken them on long trips... they are called Sport Tourers after all... and the wrist/arm position looks to be much different than that of a sports bike... the zx-14 grips are much lower than the C-14... the people riding them in the videos look comfortable in their sitting positions, not leaned over like a sport bike.

I definitely will try and take a test ride before deciding, when the time comes.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.