Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink: I everybody,I'm new here,
I own a Vulcan 1500 vn 1997,with 56,300 km.When i engage on the second gear it desengage itself just like a neutral,but not alway's.The third,and fourth gear's are o.k,the first to.Can somebody who own a Vulcan can give me a hint what could be the problem?A dealer told me it was the transmission,and it cost around 1,400.00 cdn to repair.Could be something else?

Tank You in advance It seem to be a great site 8)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's not good- i'd get it checked thru and thru-new tranny isn't that much just the labor
yo do it :cry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Vaporgaz
Yes just in second gear. But the gear really engage, when i give some gaz it's ok,for a couple of second, but woop it's just slips away like a neutral and the neutral light doesn't lightup.

Regard's Rider

·
Registered
1 Posts
2nd gear faulty

I observed a similar problem with 1997 VN1500A11. Second gear was always a rough shift, and I was told this was due to the "positive neutral finder" and typical. However, it now drops out of second gear; but, the neutral light does come on. I have been told that it may be a bent shifting fork or chipped tang on the gear. I was told that the shifting fork could be serviced through the side case, but gear replacement would require engine removal and disassembly. I, too, would be interested to know if anyone has additional information in this regard.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
The A11 and D2 have slightly different transmissions (gearing) but the 2nd gear issue is the same. It is likely that the shift forks are worn flat and the detent on the external shift mechanism holds the shift drum but the fork slips on 2nd gear. I believe the engine needs to come out and the cases split to service but I would have to look at a service manual to be sure. It would be nice if the forks could be swapped without pulling the engine. Check a service manual or Clymers for shift fork replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts