Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000. It has Vance and Hines exhaust
and a power commander. The battery recently died and required
replacing. I put the new battery in and everything seem to be great.
I went approximately 5 days without cranking it. I finally got around
to firing it up..it just clicked as if the battery were dead. I removed
the battery and put it on a 2 amp slow charge. The battery charger
show that it charged fully. I put the battery back in and tried to
crank the bike. It would not crank, the FI light stayed on. I put it in
neutral and it cranked. I put it in gear and it went dead. It will
not turn over or even click unless its in neutral. I put it back in neutral
and tried to crank it again...it just clicked and the FI light came
on and the start kind of bumped several times, but wouldn't crank.

Could I have a bad battery? or is there something else?

Thanks in advance for any input!!!!

BD
:hohoho:

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Sounds VERY much like a bad battery to me... can you put it back in, put the charger on it and crank it while the charger is connected? Give it a couple of minutes on regular charge first, if you can (if it's that kind of charger...), then let me know what happens...

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Definatly want to isolate whether or not the battery is the cause, it's the easiest first step. I'd pick up another battery and give it a shot.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Kickstand safety switch.

The FI light will remain on at startup until the engine builds oil pressure... that's normal.

If it cranks and starts in neutral, but it SHOULD stall (and won't crank) if it's in gear and the kickstand is down.

If it stalls when you put it in gear and the kickstand is up, then the circuit for the kickstand safety switch is broken... either one of the wires on the bottom of the frame was damaged or the switch itself is corroded and failed.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
charge then have the battery load tested. can't do any testing till you have a good battery.
It ain't the battery.... it started and ran when he had it in neutral.
It died when he put it in gear.

Only the kickstand safety (or a broken clutch cable, but it would jerk forward when he put it in gear) will do that.
A clutch safety switch malfunction will still allow it to RUN when in gear, just won't start unless it's in neutral, but the kickstand down will kill it when it's in gear.
Probably killed the battery repeatedly starting it in neutral.

Putting the kickstand down when the engine is running and the trans is in gear stops the engine as smooth as the kill switch.

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
It ain't the battery.... it started and ran when he had it in neutral.
It died when he put it in gear.
I didn't think it "ran", I thought it just "cranked"... he says it went "dead", I took that to mean it wouldn't crank any more, not that it ran and then died... We might be interpreting the symptoms differently...

When my battery was dying the symptoms (at least as I read them) were identical... clicks, sometimes cranks, then goes back to clicking...

I think we need an update bigdaddy!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I didn't think it "ran", I thought it just "cranked"... he says it went "dead", I took that to mean it wouldn't crank any more, not that it ran and then died... We might be interpreting the symptoms differently...
Ya... tough call until he gets back with an update:
It would not crank, the FI light stayed on. I put it in
neutral and it cranked. I put it in gear and it went dead. It will
not turn over or even click unless its in neutral.
I interpereted "went dead" as it stalled.

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys,
My sincerest apologies on not getting back to respond!
It turned out to be the battery. I had the place replace
it and the new one worked fine!
Now, I have another issue. The bike will turn over
but will not crank. It will just spin and spin.
I have been cranking it regularly. I went out
to fire up it up today and it cranked and had a
back fire and then wouldn't crank after that.
I can here the fuel pump run when I turn the key on.
Any thoughts?

BD

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Glad it was the battery, that makes me 6 for 6 on diagnosing batteries this year! ;)

You lost me of the new problem though... turn over, but not crank? I'm not sure what you mean?! I usually referring to "cranking" and "turning over" as the same thing... Is the starter just spinning without engaging? But then you say you went out and cranked, and then wouldn't crank?

Sorry, I can't interpret his one, and I can usually do that?! But it's Monday after all!

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the engine is spinning, but won't catch.
If that makes sense. Like its trying to crank, but
not getting gas.

BD

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Gotta go do homework with the kids ... :|

I'll check in as soon as I can! Just went through this with another member, hopefully we're as successful with you!

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
OK... homework done, kids in bed!

A little background...

Where are you? Climate, average temp, etc...
If it's stored, is it inside or out?
How old is the gas in it?
When did it start and run last?
How did it run last, and what did you do (if anything) the last time you shut it off?
You say it "worked" fine with the new battery... does that mean "started" or just "cranked"?

It might be flooded... try to avoid attempting to start it for now, until we get at some issues...

Just to help keep everyone on the same page, normally, "cranking" means the action of the starter turning the motor... you're holding the start button, the engine starts "cranking" or "turning over"... if it doesn't start, that's referred to as not starting, not catching, not firing, not running... but the "cranking" is a common phrase that is used to describe the action of the starter motor turning the engine before the engine fires.

Where I was confused, is if it's not "cranking", that tells me that you press the starter button and nothing happens at all, or maybe a "click!"... When you said "spinning", that can be confused with the starter motor spinning without engaging the engine. You'd know that sound... a high-pitched, high speed whirring sound...

So far, I'm thinking it's flooded, maybe water in the fuel, clogged injectors, old or bad gas, but hard to say without knowing the answers to the first questions!

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
...or something simple like the kill switch on?! I know, it's crazy, but if it's been parked for a while it's easy to forget the simple things!

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff,
Thanks for your patience!

Where are you? Climate, average temp, etc...
I live in Alabama. The temps are up and down. It has gone from 30 one day to 65 the next. I guess average would be in the 40 - 50s.
If it's stored, is it inside or out?
Its stored under a shed with no walls.
How old is the gas in it?
The gas in it, is about several weeks old but has stabil in it.
When did it start and run last?
I cranked it and ran it last week. It ran rough at first. Wouldn't idle until it warmed up.
How did it run last, and what did you do (if anything) the last time you shut it off?It ran rough at first. It wouldn't idle until it warmed up. It finally warmed up after about 10 or 15 minutes and would idle pretty good. I just flipped the kill switch and turned the key off
You say it "worked" fine with the new battery... does that mean "started" or just "cranked"?
It actually started and I was able to ride it.

...or something simple like the kill switch on?! I know, it's crazy, but if it's been parked for a while it's easy to forget the simple things!
I agree, I have forgotten before. Unfortunately, this time, I remembered. LOL
And please feel free to point out anything else that might be obvious.
I don't want to overlook anything.

Thanks again for your help!

BD

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
A loose connection (especially the ground) on the Power Commander can cause problems starting.

Access the Power Commander, turn the ignition on, and verify that the lights come on and the "graph" moves up and down following the throttle position.

If that looks good, then bypass the Power Commander and test the system again... it may have failed.

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Sorry BigD, I was away today... I hope you ahve the same patience you thanked ME for! No thanks necessary, we haven't got it running yet!

Try Rich's suggestion... I'm just heading home from work. Make sure the plug wires are all tight at both ends and dry, the air cleaner is dry and not fouled, and the fuel tap is on (forgot to mention that as one of the simpler solutions... I'm not sure what the settings are on the V2K tap)...

Has it sat for the day? Are we sure it's not flooded now?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
No petcock on the V2K... EFI bikes generally don't have one.

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got in late from work today guys. I will check the suggestions tomorrow evening! Thanks again!

BD

1 - 20 of 46 Posts