Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
No prob BigD, I was swamped all day too... nothing wrong with letting it sit 'til tomorrow! I'll be around somewhere!!! LOL!

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok,
I took my seat off and tested the power commander.
The graph lights up when I turn on the key and the kill switch,
but then goes off until I try to start the bike.
While it is cranking, I can turn the throttle and the graph lights
will go up and down. But as soon as let go of the starter button
the lights go off.

Thanks guys!

BD

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
OOPS! This one slipped off my radar a little!

Power commander is a little out of my league on this bike... I'll round up some V2K-ers and see what they can come up with as far as that goes...

Any other news? Did you try again? Any more or less success? Updates?! :smile:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I'm not sure, but I would remove the PCIII and return the bike to stock and try to fire her up. That will tell you a lot right there.

Silly question, but do you have an appropriate map loaded into your PCIII? I have never tried to fire the bike without any map loaded at all, but am wondering if the result would be what is happening to you.

Do you have you laptop attached to the PCIII and the Power Commander program up and running while you are doing this? I'm just wondering what, if anything, the program is telling you?

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did try it again. The results were the same.

Trike,
I haven't connected a laptop to it yet.Also, I didn't want
to disconnect it yet, as it looks like a lot of stuff to remove
to get to the connectors. The power commander has been
on for at least a year. Do they lose their mapping?

Thanks!

BD

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I did try it again. The results were the same.

Trike,
I haven't connected a laptop to it yet.Also, I didn't want
to disconnect it yet, as it looks like a lot of stuff to remove
to get to the connectors. The power commander has been
on for at least a year. Do they lose their mapping?

Thanks!

BD
I don't think they lose the mapping, but you may want to try firing it up with a laptop connected running the PCIII program (if you can). It amy tell you what is wrong.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
So just to rerun things through my short memory, the PCIII has been on the bike for awhile and functioning just fine. The problem started after you replaced what we figured was a bad battery?

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That is correct.
The new battery has been working great too. I have
been cranking the bike regularly. Then the other day,
it cranked and then died. Since then, it won't crank.

BD

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
That is correct.
The new battery has been working great too. I have
been cranking the bike regularly. Then the other day,
it cranked and then died. Since then, it won't crank.

BD
Yeh, I'm not sure. I guess if the new battery was NFG then it just wouldn't crank over. Maybe it is indeed a fuel problem, I'm not sure if fi'd bikes can suffer from some sort of vapor lock?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
A "zero" map will be stock. The PCIII map adds or removes fuel from the stock map, so if for some reason the map reverted to zero, it would still run just the same as if it were not installed.

If the map were to become corrupted, which could happen from a power surge (not likely though), then all bets are off... it could have ANYTHING in the data table, including values that are out of range (values that you normally could not manually input, like -255, +1024, etc...)

Hook up the PC and verify that your map looks good, perhaps to play it safe, clear it and transfer the map back in (in case something is corrupted that does not appear on the table)... but my bet is that the unit itself has failed OR there is a loose connection, perhaps on an injector.

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rich,
Did you see my post about what my power commander was doing?

Just wondering if that sounded right about it.

BD

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya, that sounds normal, so the unit is getting power and the connection to the TPS is good.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It does on the 1600... probably also on the V2K.

You can probably get away with removing the mounting bolts and propping it up from the rear.

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
BigD, I'll let this unfold for a while to make sure it's not PC related... once we're sure of that, I'll keep an eye and see if I can still help!

·
Big Boy with a Big Toy
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have hooked up my laptop in order to try to get a reading on the power commander. However, it says "Device not communicating", until I try to crank it. Then it gives me small rpm reading. The bike actually cranked and ran today, but ran really really rough and then went dead.

Thanks guys!

BD

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
It should communicate with the ignition on.
It really sounds like either the unit has failed or you have a bad connection to the injectors.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts