Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3xmalcolm
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one. Ijust installed big johnson handle bars on my vulcan 2000. And I would like to run the wires inside the bars.The wires look like they will be long enough. My question is, will I have to cut the wires and resplice them? Or is there any wayto get the wires out of the plugs in the headlight, and then reinstall them back into the plugs,after running the wires inside the bars? thanks for any help .

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
You will have to cut the wires to get them through a bar. The wiring harness' have plugs on the ends that won't fit thru the bars. I'm not sure of the difference in bars as compared to stock...but as you will have to cut the wires anyways, i'd suggest wiring a short extension on to make life easier.

A few things to remember.
- put the shrinkwrap on before you re-solder the wires (don't ask me how I know this to be a pita if you forget)
- stagger your cuts and extensions and re-ssolder points, so that they do not bunch up and jam and not allow you to feed the wires thru the bars
- make sure you use the same gauge or bigger of wire as stock, and try to find as many different colored wires as possible. you will have around 10 wires per side to cut, extend, solder, and feed thru the bars. Having multiple colors will keep things from getting too confusing
- take pictures before you start, and use notes to remember which colored wires go where.

Good luck.

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
If the wires are long enough as is, then NO you don't need to cut them. You will need a small flat screw driver (like the kind you mind fix a pair of eye glasses with). The wires (with metal tab attached) WILL pop out of the plugs.

If you do have to cut, TB summed it up just right.

TB: Did you have to cut the wires on yours, mine popped out of the connectors fairly easily?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Check carefully the wire openings, a Burr from drilling or forming by the manufacturer will quickly strip the insulation from the wires making for a real headache troubleshooting.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
If the wires are long enough as is, then NO you don't need to cut them. You will need a small flat screw driver (like the kind you mind fix a pair of eye glasses with). The wires (with metal tab attached) WILL pop out of the plugs.

If you do have to cut, TB summed it up just right.

TB: Did you have to cut the wires on yours, mine popped out of the connectors fairly easily?
I cut mine and extended mine, they were way too short to fit inside the length of the Apes I put on.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Hello every one. Ijust installed big johnson handle bars on my vulcan 2000. And I would like to run the wires inside the bars.The wires look like they will be long enough. My question is, will I have to cut the wires and resplice them? Or is there any wayto get the wires out of the plugs in the headlight, and then reinstall them back into the plugs,after running the wires inside the bars? thanks for any help .

:worthless:

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Aw, crap! Now you tell me... :redface:

·
3xmalcolm
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you OCCITIGER, I used a small tipped screw driver and the wires came right out of the plugs. I was getting ready to take the cutting pliers out and cut the wires. Yousaved me alot of extra work. THANKS AGAIN.:) :) :) :) WHAT A GREAT FORUM I"LL BE BACK

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
I cut mine and extended mine, they were way too short to fit inside the length of the Apes I put on.
I had to extend my too, but I was able to pop them out of the plastic connectors (that connect inside the head light), extend them, then run them through the handlebars, then just pop them back into the plastic connectors. ALthough I did add to much wire, they said to cut out 10" of wire and I probably only needed half that.

·
lock up your daughters
1,114 Posts
Thank you OCCITIGER, I used a small tipped screw driver and the wires came right out of the plugs. I was getting ready to take the cutting pliers out and cut the wires. Yousaved me alot of extra work. THANKS AGAIN.:) :) :) :) WHAT A GREAT FORUM I"LL BE BACK
I got allot of help when I did mine so it's the least that can be done to pass along the knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts