Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point, I know I will have to adjust the chain on my vulcan 500. The manual says to use a torque wrench on the axle nut but other than removing the exhaust pipe, I can't see how you get a torque wrench on the axle nut. Not enough room. I thought about using a crowfoot. Any ideas on how to get the torque wrench on the axle nut?

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I adjust the chain or any nut I cannot get my torque wrench on my 500 I set my torque wrench to the proper torque and I do a few test pulls on a screw bolt on my work bench to get a feel for the pressure required. Then I use a box end wrench to tighten the nut. Not very scientific but as close as one can get. Just remember when you do the test pulls with the torque wrench that you place your hand at the same distance from the nut as it would be when using the box end wrench. The longer the distance from the nut your hand is on a wrench the less pressure is required to turn the nut. You want to keep the distance the same so that you apply the same pressure (approximately) when using the box wrench.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Exactly as tom said. "About that tight". Do it once with the torque wrench so you have an idea how tight the torque setting is.

As long as you make sure the cotter pin is in the castle nut you shouldn't be too concerned about it backing off. Just check your back wheel for movement before every ride. Its a habit I got into from my days of bicycling.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In addition to the above you can mark the nut to another mark on the frame so you know it was "at least" that tight or turned that far. Wax pencil or something easily removed works well. You do the above and verify that the algnment marks you made are about equal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts