Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need help with an oil leak on my 2003 Vulcan 500 LTD. It is leaking from the Main Gallry Plug which is located on the right side of the case above the oil pan. The bolt is black in color, has a 16mm head, and requires the removal of the rear brake bracket to access it. The bolt is an aluminum "banjo" style bolt. That is to say it has a hole drilled through the shaft as well as a hole into the shank (I don't really know what this bolt does). There is an O ring under the head of the bolt. I replaced the O ring and ended up breaking the bolt in two trying to stop the leak. I bought a new bolt ($16!!!!) and initially the leak stopped but that only lasted for about 20 miles. Any suggestions on how to stop this leak? I have owned this bike for a little over a year and it wasn't leaking until the end of 2008's riding season. Also, does anyone know the torque value for this bolt.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
O-ring?...a rubber o-ring?..................I have never seen a banjo fitting use an o-ring. Most use a copper flat washer on both sides of the fitting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts