Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I believe the spark plugs on the Vulcan 500 LTD are impossible to remove without taking off the tank! Is this so?
I am in the process of trying to fog the cylinders for winter storage. I figured I could go in through the "back door" and fog through the intake valve, but the beast has everything so tightly packed that you can't see daylight on the other side of the bike! Reminds me of my old SHO Taurus.
Any suggestions on how to fog the cylinders? Is it really necessary, since winters here are really dry & the bike will be in an enclosed, dry, ventilated garage? Any suggestins are appreciated.
Regards

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
cant say for sure without seeing the bike if the plugs can come out with the tank on.
as far as fogging the cylinders, never have on all the bikes ive owned. no reason to do this unless you are gonna leave them sitting for a LONG time. :wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
The left side plug is blocked by the tank petcock. The plugs are basically directly in the middle of the entire head structure & there is almost no clearance to get a plug socket in there, let alone the ratchet. I don't want to take off the tank & deal with the hoses/wiring, etc. I was amused that the manual just says, "remove the plugs", without elaborating on this any further.
Regards

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL. I shouldn't be so chicken about it. Even the dealer admitted it is a PITA. But he told me to just undo the one bolt at the back of the tank, and just lift the bugger up. He said to put styrofoam between it & the frame while I work under it. This way, no disconnecting wiring harnesses, plumbing, etc. I'll probably give it a try in a few days.
Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now I'm wondering how this went, because I had some fun changing the spark plugs on my Vulcan 500 too.

This thread was most helpful, because I couldn't even find the spark plugs. (I'm pathetic, I know.)

To get the tank sufficiently elevated requires not only removal of the back bolt (which is under the seat), but the front bolt under the dashboard as well. This required removal of the dashboard.

I think the spark plugs are obscenely difficult to reach. And after all that, the spark plugs turned out to be fine. I changed them anyways though.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you've done it before it IS possible using an extension and a deep 18mm socket.

However its a good idea to take off the tank (which is ridiculously easy on the 500, no plastic to remove) to make sure there isnt anything stuck in the plug wells that might fall into the cylinders when you pull the plug.

Once you know what you're feeling for it's very easy to pull them with the tank in place, although you will still have to take the tank mounting bolts out so the tank can move while you get your hands in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts