Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks;
I'm helping my son make a decision on buying a bike. He's never rode before. We are trying to decide between a Vulcan 500 and a Suzuki Boulevard S40. That price range is all he can afford at this time. I can't find any performance data on the 500 anywhere. Will this bike comfortably cruise at interstate speeds 65-70 MPH and still have some throttle left if he needs it to get out of trouble. Not that it's very important but what is the possible top speed of this bike? Any pertinent info will be greatly appreciated. Your honest input will help us make the correct choice. We both are going to take a MSC. Thank you.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome back sarge, can't offer any help on the 500 but there are plenty of those bikes in here. I know you'll get an answer back soon.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have done some research on both bikes, my fiance is interested in getting one next year. She has chosen the Vulcan 500, for a couple reasons. The Vulcan has a liquid cooled twin cylinder motor, that is actually from the Ninja 500 but tuned more towards cruising. and the vulcan is heavier then the S40, something to consider if highway riding is going to be part of its intended use won't get blown around as easy. The S40 has a single cylinder 650 air cooled motor, which would not be as powerful or as smooth. I hear the top speed of the S40 is in the 85-90 range as the Vulcan 500 I would think would top 100. I know the Ninja 500 will go at least 120 mph, my roommate had one and i had it past that a couple times. There is about a 500 dollar difference in price according to there websites. In my opinion if I had to pick between these two bikes It would be the 500 Vulcan hands down. If for no other reason than the motor.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Sgt.Mike The wife rides a 500, no other bike in its class comes close. It will will handle the superslab just fine. The top speed I got it to was 110 mph. as indicated. It's a hoot to ride just got to remember it rev's high compared to the v-twins. And don't forget it has 6 spds. I've raced the 650 susuki your talking about an the 650 v-star(yamaha) smoked them both. Handles great on the highway an nimble enough to get you out of trouble if need be. You've got to remember that your on a vulcan forum so you won't get to much negative response.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello Sarge...I've had a 04 500 LTD since Aug 03 and now have 8600 miles on it..Most of it 70 MPH +. Mine has a windshield and cruises very comfortably at 75-85. I've had it up to 90 and I'm sure it will top 100 (but not with me on it). Like Woodchuck says, it's a high RPM engine and will not sound like it's loafing along but this is the range the motor loves to run in and where it gets it's best fuel economy. There is no comparison as to the smoothness of the 500 LTD to the single jug thumper. It's virtually vibration free at highway speeds and the more miles you ride the more important and appreciated that becomes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i agree with the above sarge :wink:

the vtwin is hard to beat and the bike is well balanced - it handles good :wink:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I got a Vulcan 500 for my wife (good trade, huh?) only kidding. But she loves the bike, it fits her beautifully, and runs like a dream. I did a lot of the break-in duties, and it is probably the friendliest bike I have ever ridden. Handles great, has good zip (about 15.0 in the 1/4 I read), great mileage on each tank (150+), starts like an electric motor and never knocked, pinged, rattled, etc. It does it's job like it was born for it. Downsides: chain drive (messy), spoke wheels (the chain is kind enough to make cleaning the spokes a regular duty), tough to get to spark plugs, needs valve adjustments. Another attractive option is the Vulcan 750. Quick bike (13's in the 1/4 I read), shaft drive, alloy wheels, no valve adjustments, and about 40 pounds heavier. It also has full instrumentation.
Hope this helps some.
Safe riding.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I had a 04 500LTD before trading up to the 800. I can vouch for what everone else is saying. It is a great bike. Handles great and can run with most 800's. I'm 210lbs and it pulled me at 75mph with plenty of throttle to spare, no vibration. I only traded because I wanted the V-twin look and sound, and I could not find many aftermarket parts for the 500.

bluestringer

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the input. I forgot to mention that my son is 6' 2"@ 200 lbs. Is the bike large enough? The dimensions are slightly bigger than the S40. He says that he don't want to look like a shriner on a mini scooter. What do you folks think? Thanks

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
HE needs a bigger bike. I'm 5'10" and the wife's 500 feels a little short on the legs after awhile, but other than that it's fine.His he buying a new bike or used? These vulcans are good for 60,000 mi. or more, You will find some pretty sweet deals this winter on ebay or www.cycletrader.com You did say it's his first bike, but his size he can handle an 800. How old is he? How about a computer? He might as well join the forum since he's going to be a part of the vulcan cruiser crowd :!:

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't have the 500 but I do ride the 800A. I'm 6'1" and have been seriously considering the forward controls so I can stretch my legs out a little. The 800 has been a great bike so far for me, plenty of power, very easy to handle, but I deffinately wouldn't want a smaller bike at my size. But thats just my opinion. Everyone has their own.

You might want to sit on several differnt sized bikes and see what feels the most comfortable. Like Woodchuck said you might find a great deal on a used bike this time of year. I bought a 2003 800A used with only 600+ miles on it had the first service performed, carb jetted and a nice set of Vance & Hines cruzers, he gave me the stock exhaust, a battery tender, and a new never worn helmet he bought for his wife (she wouldn't ride with him) i bought it for almost $2000.00 less than the 2004 i had just been looking at this past June.

Good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am 5 foot 10 and 175 lbs and I have only sat on the 500 in the dealership and thought it might be to cramped for me. Possibly and idea might be to find a good used bigger bike for the price of the 500 or the S40. I went with the 800 Vulcan Classic for my first bike and have not regretted it for a second.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did forget to mention that the bike is pretty cramped for taller (5'10" & up) riders. I am 6'3" 200 pounds & my knees were practically in my chest breaking in that puppy! If you are tall, you will also be forced back a little in the seat, with the small of your back resting against the seat ridge. That will provide a nice ache in your tailbone after riding for an hour or more. But a taller rider would be wise to look at something more spacious. The hunt for the bike is sometimes the most fun.
Safe riding.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
I appreciate the input. I forgot to mention that my son is 6' 2"@ 200 lbs. Is the bike large enough? The dimensions are slightly bigger than the S40. He says that he don't want to look like a shriner on a mini scooter. What do you folks think? Thanks
I'm 5'10" 210lbs and the bike did begin to feel too small. The bars hit my knees when doing a full locked turn, but that was rare. Most bikes are made to fit Joe Average and the rider space is about the same from the 500 to the 1500, but being that tall he may need the controls a little farther forward than what the 500's are. Take a look at the 800, it's a great bike also and may be a better fit for him. It's a little bigger than the 500, and the controls are more forward. And it's a V-twin with a nice rumble.

bluestringer

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok; the 500 is out. He's gonna bite the bullet and spring for a larger bike. He really likes the Vulcan 750. I read nice write ups on it, but propaganda is not always true info. I know some you own or know somone who owns one. I would appreciate your input on that bike. Alot of nice features for only $100.00 more than the 800. Thanks for all your help so far.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I forgot about the 750. It's a really nice bike. I sat on one before buying my 800. Check out the VROC newsgroup, lots of 750 riders there that can tell you more about it.

bluestringer

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Bluestringer;
What is VROC newsgroup and how do I get to it? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 04 500Ltd

IM 5 11 and weight 240

this is my first bike, i dont feel cramped on it at all and ive had the bike rockin 200km/h, this bike has plenty of tourque and hp for its size and easily will haul my fat ass around all day.

the only compliant on this bike is the sound, but o well ill get over it someday

I say stick with the 500 it will save him lots $$$$$ on insurance anything over 700cc and you start gettin penailzed for it

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Sarge, join up at www.vroc.org. You can acces the newsgroup there or in Outlook express. local.vroc.techtalk

bluestringer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts