Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people paying OTD for a new Vulcan 500. I know the MSRP has fluctuated over the past few years (according to what the Cycle World buyers guide says). I looked at a 2008 Vulcan 500 and after some back and forth they said $5400 otd. Is this a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Here that would be msrp + tax + tags (tax is 8.25%). You should try to get as close to $5,000 as you can. The 500 is not a very popular bike. My local dealer sells 1 a year. The sport model (Ninja 500) sells a lot better and is cheaper. You can get one for less than $5000 otd.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got them down to $5300 out the door on a vulcan 500 just down the road from charlotte in shelby n.c. it was for a 2007 model. I would say you are with in reason on the price. I didn't purchase it. I bought a used one instead.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
MSRP is $5049. I see them listed on CycleTrader in my area at $4999 - $5049 all the time. A local shop has one w/ accessories (windshield, backrest, mirrors, and other stuff I probably didn't notice) for $4999 and I saw one with 41 miles on CycleTrader also for $4695. I'd try and get a better deal. Any reason you're not looking at a 900?

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Huh

Here that would be msrp + tax + tags (tax is 8.25%). You should try to get as close to $5,000 as you can. The 500 is not a very popular bike. My local dealer sells 1 a year. The sport model (Ninja 500) sells a lot better and is cheaper. You can get one for less than $5000 otd.
I GOTTA ask. Where did you get the "not very popular" from? It IS the smallest cruiser from Kawi, but has sold almost without change for sixteen YEARS! There have been almost as many "wannabeabigbike"s sold as all the rest of the Kawi cruisers! And THAT info is from Kawi's own advertising. They are one of the biggest seller in Europe, and almost as big here. Don't confuse small and cheaper with popular! My site Paul Andreasen's Motorcycle Mods Page has had over 18000 hits from different individuals (different IP addresses at least) in the last 8 months. Just the saddle bag holder mod by Daryl Petrack (the most chosen mod) has an AVERAGE of 20+ hits per day! The Santa Maria, CA dealer (Thorsen Motor Sports) has sold them faster than almost any other for a dozen years. The only one that outsells it was the 800, now is the 900.
Maybe it's just where you are at.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I paid $6k for a brand new one out the door (taxes and all) with about $300 in gear. Not the best deal, I know. I did better on my car...
I'd try and get a better deal. Any reason you're not looking at a 900?
'Cause not everyone wants or needs anything bigger than the 500? I'm thinking about going up to a 650 twin at some point, but I really don't want anything bigger than that.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The 500 is a great bike. Got my 2007 model back in 07/07 for $5300 OTD with $300 in gear. My dealer has a left over 07 asking $4850 OTD, 08 $5100 OTD. He does not charge any additional setup fees. Of course prices very wildly by location.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any reason you're not looking at a 900?
I guess I like the lighter weight and the ninja based engine. Plus they have been around forever! I think its funny how people always say you should get the next size up-- Maybe I shuold have said I was considering the Eliminator 125!:wink:

Also, to echo what another poster said, the dealer said it is rare to have the Vulcan 500 in stock-- maybe this adds to the pressure of buying one on the spot.

There is a used 2006 I may go take a look at being advertised for $3300 at another dealership, I will have to call and get some more details. As long as $5400 for the 2008 model isn't a complete rip, I think I would be pleased--

Thanks so far for all the responses-

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased a used 2006 500 Vulcan with 750 miles for 3150.00 about 3 months ago. The only problem was a dent in the left side of the tank and I have fixed the dent but haven't got it painted yet. I am waiting for a bit to see if I want to have the whole bike painted,the bike is spotless paint wise other than the dented area. I put a windshiels and small luggage rack on at Xmas time.

·
2012 GT1400 Concours
658 Posts
I think its funny how people always say you should get the next size up--

There is a used 2006 I may go take a look at being advertised for $3300 at another dealership, I will have to call and get some more details. As long as $5400 for the 2008 model isn't a complete rip, I think I would be pleased--
QUOTE]

I'm not in the habit of SUPERSIZING an order on a bike. What ever you are comfortable with is fine. I am only speaking from experience. I have bought 3 Kawi's in 2007 for myself (EN500, VN900, VN2000) went to the dealer with 2 friends to buy 2 others (VN900, VN1500) and just helped another (1600 Nomad) buy one in 2008as well. I bought the EN500 when I actually went to buy a leftover 750 that was already gone. I got the 900 after riding a friends home from the dealer - I was that impressed! They do not seem heavy and are a true mid-sized cruiser thats easy to handle and quite responsive. If you get a chance to demo-ride one at a bike show give it a try.
As for the 500 I looked up the dealer invoice pricing report I got prior to going in to purchase. It says the following:

Dealer Invoice is $4326
There is a 5% Kawi Holdback ($216) which brings actual price to $4110
Their Ready To Sell Cost (after assembly credit & freight charge) $4424
Now throw in your tax and what they say registration / plates will cost and you'll have an idea of where you should be bargaining from. Of course you need to realize that the Dealership is a business and they need to make a few $$$$ as well. but at least you can coem OTD within reason. And yes the bike seems to ride better and faster when you feel like you got a good deal on it vs feeling like you got ripped off. Also, continuing to remain a customer of the dealership should be of value to them. I have 3 dealers local to me and I know they appreciate my business!

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should be able to get one for around $5100 otd. I bought one of these for my wife. This is a peppy machine with the ninja motor on it. I even ride it once in a while, when the wife lets me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2006 500 LTD from a trader ad in August 2007 for $3000... it was still under warranty (less than a year old) and had about 2600 miles on it... The guy also gave me all his gear (jacket, pants, gloves, 3 skull caps, glasses, etc).. I only use the glasses, helmets are too small and the clothes are more suited for snowboarding than taking a slide... my only gripe is that it was dirty but other than problems created by me (my first bike), it was a hell of a deal...

·
With great power comes...
683 Posts
...and the gas mileage on those has to be great

I am seriously looking at one or the ninja 500 for a drive to work bike and
have the Nomad for the big trips

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought an 05 used with bags, window, sissy bar, etc... very well dressed up and in great shape for $3200 with only about 3600 miles on it from ebay. No problems what so ever. great bike! You can use EBAY to shop for a new one and see what other dealers are charging - if you see a better deal online ask if your local shop will match it - they might!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a 2003 500 in November 2006 for $1995. It came with factory backrest/sissy bar and luggage rack, saddlebag brackets and Willie and Max bags. It did come with a dent in the right side of the tank, but other than that, it was immaculate. Runs great. It was my second 500. Purchased a 900 about 9 months afterward. Still have the 500 just cause. Both great bikes!

Chunckchucker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts