Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have an 85 vulcan, it runs but won't hold an idle. i turn the adjustment screw, but it will only increase, when i try to turn it down, it stalls and won't restart right away. i put new parts in the fuel petcock and cleaned the plugs. it seems to run ok at high idle, w/accasional back fire throught the exhaust. any ideas? thanx

·
Registered
297 Posts
Has the bike been sitting for a while? Sounds like a clogged idle jet to me and/or dirty carbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the new petcock parts in cause it was leaking, and i couldn't get it to run at all. it was sitting for awhile, not sure how long. it starts, pretty good, now but the idle is erratic. it will increase by itsself, sometimes it drops to about a grand, then shoots up to 6 or 7 then drops again to 2. if i turn the adjustment screw. it will drop and stall, i can get it to hold at 2k, but it seems too high. it spits or backfires through the carb some times too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I agree with okiecop, sounds like a clogged idle jet. Have you taken the carbs off and cleaned them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i put a can of seafoam in the tank and filled it w/fresh fuel, it still idles erratically, or changes by itsself? i cant find the idle jet and i don't have a manual can see the idle screw and it seems to be turning when i turn the adjustment knob, but it will only increase when i try to decrease it just drops all of a sudden and stalls?

·
Registered
297 Posts
You will have to pull the carbs, the idle jet is in each carb on the bottom (bowl). You can try an old trick. There should be a drain screw in the bottom of the bowl, open it up and start tapping on the side of the bowl on each carb with a screwdriver. It works sometimes. I would bet you will have to clean the carbs and jets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You will not have an idle jet screw for each carb. The idle screw just raises the idle for the carbs as a unit. A thought here too....I have been able to "flood" an idle jet clean. Start the bike, choke the carbs and rev the motor and then release the choke...do this several times. Worth a try!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts