Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I own a vulcan 800, and I have recently bought 16" ape-hangers. I have been searching around (kawasaki official dealers here in Sweden and some aftermarket websites) for the cables I need in order to get my controls in their new positions but I haven't found'em yet.

Any of you guys who have ape-hangers installed could you please tell me how much longer than the originals my cables should be? And where I can order them online?

Any other tips and tricks about this sort of installation would be more than welcome!

Thank you all for your help!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
When I installed 14" Apes (mini-apes I guess) I used +8" lines and cables. I think (if you can) the best thing to do is to install the new bars, and then measure how much extra is needed for your lines and cables. You'll probably be looking at +10" I imagine.

As far as tips go, if at all possible run the wiring inside the bars. It can be a bit of a pain to complete, but will look much better when done. If you do decide to run the wiring internally, make sure to take lots of notes and pictures of the wires, get extra wiring that is the same gauge and if possible in as many colors as possible. (I had 10 and 11 wires respectively to run on each side oy my bars), it will make it easier when splicing wires. When you cut and extend your wires, stagger you cuts so you don't have a big bunch of shrinkwrap in one place to try to feed trhu the holes in the bars. And remember to put the shrink wrap on before you solder.

Have fun and be patient, don't tackle the job a day or two before a big ride. Give yourself lots of time to complete the swap and you'll be happy with the end results.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Yup, putting your wires inside your bars makes a really nice clean job & is worth the effort. It's not at all hard, just tedious cuz of the # of wires. If you have 11 wires go ahead & feed 11 wires the same length through your apes & give yourself a little extra length. I've got about 8-10 inches of extra wire zip tied together & coiled up in my light bucket.Then cut your bike wires & splice both ends to a wire in the apes. That way you don't have to worry about crossing a wire by doing both ends of one wire at a time. Like Trike said, stagger your cuts! Twist, solder & shrinkwrap all connections. Inside your bars is not the place for a bad connection. It's really not hard, just take your time! 8)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
+ 8" or 10" seems a bit much for throttle cables on a vn800. Maybe for the clutch and brake line.
Best way is to install the apes on your bike and measure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for the help! Now I am tying to buy the cables, I checked easy riders but it is in Japanese... I checked the English catalog but they don't seem to have what I am looking for... How did you order your cables chopper666? Any place to buy the cables online that ships to Europe?

Cheers!

·
1996 Vulcan 800 A
57 Posts
http://www.west-eagle.com/ is where i got the parts from. i dealt with Hiro. here is his email
[email protected]
their whole catalog is online on their web site, and they can also get anything that is in the easyriders site too. they are real easy to deal with. give him time to get back to you, because right now is memorial day long weekend in the states.
here are the part numbers for the 800 vulcan cables
throttle cable black +2" 5518
throttle cable black +10" 5517

clutch cable black +2" 5529
clutch cable black +10" 5528

hope that helps....good luck....post some pics when you're done!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, I'll get +10" clutch and throttle cables from West Eagle. But, what about the front break and the electrical cables (I mean front light and blinkers)? How did you guys fix that? Well, it should be easy to extend the electrical cables but I would appreciate some tips for the break cable installation since I've never done anything similar.

I will surely post pictures once I am done =)

Cheers!

·
1996 Vulcan 800 A
57 Posts
i got the brake line from http://www.jirehcycles.com/ i'm not sure if they ship to sweden but they have good prices. Russell has a line of universal brake lines. They have any length you need, and adaptors for any fittings that you might have. the 800's use 10 mm banjo bolts. i got a 47 inch brake line and two banjo bolt adaptors for about $100 US. they have stainless with clear plastic coating, and what i got was black stainless with clear coating, with black fittings to match. cool looking stuff! but you could probably find the Russell brake line from somebody right in Sweden. as far as the wiring goes, i just cut and spliced extra length in the wires, hid them inside the bars. looks much cleaner that way. i'm still in the process of doing the whole job, but check my flickr page to see the most recent pics i have. you can see the throttle cable on the bike, but i still dont have the clutch cable and brake line on yet. and that is not how i am leaving the throttle cable hanging, i will secure it to take out some of the slack. the bars i have are biltwell 12" apes, so the +10" throttle cable should be just right for the 16" apes you have.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Your bike looks great chopper666 but I remember when I had the 16's apes on the vn800 the throttle cables were only +6" over stock and they were way to long. As far as the brake line goes +10" sounds about right.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You could also just buy cable and make them to perfect length on the spot.
That's what a mechanic did for me, as he's doing it all the time with old BSA's, Triumph's and Norton's.
We measured first the throttle and clutchcables, melted with the torch the attachments on the new cables and installed it.
Brake line was also made to length, into stainless, the best.
As for the electrical, I haven't runned them yet internally, but will do that within a couple of weeks.

You can also order your parts at Highwayhawk, they have a distributor in Sweden, so there is not really a need to import it.
http://www.highwayhawk.com/index.php?action=distributors

·
Peterbilt or death
35 Posts
I put 12" mini apes on mine. Only a 6" ext clutch cable was needed. Brake and throttle barely
reached but it works. For 16" apes I would've gone with at least +10 clutch and + 6 for throttle and brake line. REMEMBER to put shrink wrap on the wires before you solder them. Its a pain to have to redo everything just to put shrink wrap on. Don't ask how I know this.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
i used 45 over cables. just looped em up and zip tied em to my handlebars. ya know, just in case you brake a cable. ive heard of guys using 30 over cables too, which would probably be fine in your case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi going to turn my Vulcan 800 to a bobber i want to go 14" hangers wat is the best length for the throttle,cluch,front brake will be putting electrical wire in bars im all good with that side just the lengths from Qld Australia

·
Registered
10 Posts
To summaries what the above statements it looks like the preferred lengths for a 16" ape are:

+6" for the gas wires
+10" for the break line and clutch cable.

Hunting needed wires and break line I found that path performance parts has them all, however it costs like over 300€ including taxes and shipping to Sweden. If you go down to +6" on all cables it seems to be better deals around.

I have Santee 10" apes today with original cables and it works but the clutch cable are stretched. With that sad do you think it would be enough for a 16" ape hanger with some smart rerouting of the cables etc just using +6" all around? If not would a 14" work?

Not seen any good 14" apes around however (Like the shape of the Santee but these are only made in 10", 12" and 16" and has the big drawback that it's not knurled) so if you have any good advice of brands pls tell me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts