Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike when cruising one (front) cylinder has a poping sound from the exhaust till around 65 mph then it seems to smooth out. Under power it seems Ok,till I reach riding speed, then the poping starts again. I pulled the plugs and the front cylinder plug was wet,and the rear cylinder was not wet,and seemed to be firing normal. The bike has V&H short shots on it and I am assuming a jet kit was added. Is there an fuel adjustment for leaning down the front cyl. or could this mean a valve adjustment is needed? The bike has 22,000 K, and has been serviced regularly according to the service records, but never a valve adjustment. The bikes year is a 2000 .Any advise would be appreciated. :confused: :

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Cobia,

Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to get answers. I am confident that you will receive a technical reply to your question way before the day is out!!!!

There are a lot of GREAT folks up here and a lot technical expertise also. Hope you like and stay!!!!

Heather

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
man i feel like i am riding your posts Heather, you keep beating me to them !

Cobia,
welcome to the forum. i am also not sure of that problem but i am sure that you will hear from somebody who does. this sounds like a fairly common question and there are always a few ideas on what could be causing it. you might want to try to do a search for "pop" or something like that, see if anything comes up that might answer your question. good luck.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Cobia,

When was a last time you checked your carbs.....your fuel/air mix could be off a bit....see if one of the other guys agrees with me......

Ispeed,

Got lots of time since I am still looking for work!!!! Spend a couple of hours each morning looking for jobs online and reviewing the forum and looking for newbies.

Heather

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
kyhick1 said:
Ispeed,

Got lots of time since I am still looking for work!!!! Spend a couple of hours each morning looking for jobs online and reviewing the forum and looking for newbies.

Heather
that's what i figured ! :grin:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kyhick1
When was a last time you checked your carbs.....your fuel/air mix could be off a bit....see if one of the other guys agrees with me...... Cobia I just picked up the bike a month ago, so I am just getting familiar with it. I agree with the fuel/air being off. I will give it a look this weekend. Do you know how often, or at what millage the valves should be adjusted? Thanks

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Cobia,

My service manual mentions a valve Check every 5000 miles......Don't know the history of your bike or if its been sitting for a long time. I would only check them if they start tapping.

Heather

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Heather, The bike has 22k, and has been riden at least three times a week.I am waiting for a chalmers book to arrive from E-Bay but the valves are quiet,so I think I will look more tward the carb,and fuel/air mixture. Will tell you the outcome. Thanks again

·
Registered
159 Posts
Popping cylinder

Hi:
Do the easy things first. You may have a spark plug thats breaking down either when hot or under a load. It does'nt have to be cracked to be defective. change the plugs first, both of them. Start from there and if it still persists, you could have a wire or coil breaking down. It sounds like more of an ignition problem to me. Change the most likely and most easy things first. Adjusting valves for no reason could get you into a lot of trouble. If it were the valves, its most likely that both cylinders would be having the problem since both valves would be out of adjustment due to wear. So dont get nutz, do the likely things first.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks Knightrider: I did change the plugs,but never thought about the coil or wires. Duh. Will go there first and hope that is the problem that's a great suggestion. Will let you know what the results are. Thanks Jay

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were Right !!!!!!!

Knightrider said:
Hi:
Do the easy things first. You may have a spark plug thats breaking down either when hot or under a load. It does'nt have to be cracked to be defective. change the plugs first, both of them. Start from there and if it still persists, you could have a wire or coil breaking down. It sounds like more of an ignition problem to me. Change the most likely and most easy things first. Adjusting valves for no reason could get you into a lot of trouble. If it were the valves, its most likely that both cylinders would be having the problem since both valves would be out of adjustment due to wear. So dont get nutz, do the likely things first.
Knightrider; I had just changed the plugs, so I went to the coil you were right it was bad. Now she purr's like a kitten .Cant thank you enough . Thanks Jay

·
Registered
159 Posts
Glad To Hear Its Fixed

Hey Cobia:
Glad to hear its fixed. Thats what this place is all about. The spark has to get to the plug somehow. Always go for the easy thing first. We always think of the worst when we get stuck. Even with automobiles. People get all nervous when their car dont run right cause of all the electronics. Remember, beneath all of the modern electronics, computers, sensors, switches and monitors is a basic gasoline engine that needs the big three, AIR, FUEL AND SPARK. It has'nt changed in 100 years. You might want to change the other coil since it has been firing just as long as the bad one and may be on its way out too. And the wires are'nt that expensive either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might want to change the other coil Hey Knight, This time I was a step ahead of you! That is exactly what I did. You all are a great bunch, and I cant thank you all enough. Im hoping to be around for a long time, and maybe one day I will be able to help one of you out.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Welcome Cobia!
Glad good ole' Knight got ya squared away already... Hope you stick around and enjoy this great group of caring riders!

·
Registered
16 Posts
cobia said:
Thanks Heather, The bike has 22k, and has been riden at least three times a week.I am waiting for a chalmers book to arrive from E-Bay but the valves are quiet,so I think I will look more tward the carb,and fuel/air mixture. Will tell you the outcome. Thanks again
If the valves are quite (this is an 800 we are talking about right) then they are to tight. You need to check them. They should make noise when they are within spec and only quiten down as they are getting to tight. It's not that hard to do, just take your time and check them one at a time and mark on a piece of paper the location and the reading of each one and what it's "size" is and then go to the chart and see which ones you can re-use and which ones you will need to order.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome Cobia. Hi all. Hey Meanstreak, I REALLY like that avatar !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Vulcan Classic rear cylinder problem. My problem sound like Cobia's problem except it is on the rear cylinder. I pulled the plug and it is black, but wet with fuel. It started dropping out...then it would fire every now & then, but now it won't fire at all. The front works great! Is it possible that a coil can start going bad, giving fire here & there? I was under the belief that when a coil stopped working it did it all at once.

·
Kimberly Dawn 1966 - 2009
999 Posts
Magnum,

this post is 4 years old. You may not get a lot of responses on it. :eek:

Your thread you started has most of the 800 gurus looking at it. We should be able to help you out. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts