Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background info: (Sorry it's so long, but I want to be thorough in explaining the situation. Thanks for any help you can provide.)

I have a 2004 VN800A with about 6000 miles on it that I bought brand new in 2005. For the first 4 years I owned the bike, I didn't ride it much and it was kept in my garage. For the past several months, it has been my sole source of transportation. Until recently, I have never had a problem with anything and have changed the oil regularly and kept up with maintenance.

Problem:

About a month or so ago, I filled up with fuel and then went in for lunch. When I came out, I noticed fuel coming out of a tube under the engine. I figured it was the gas expanding in the heat and coming out of the overflow valve. I opened the gas cap and heard pressure release from the tank. The bike started okay and I drove it about an hour home. I came out about 1/2 hour later and heard a noise that sounded like air escaping from the gas cap. I opened the cap again and there was a release of more pressure from the tank. When I tried to start it, I heard a loud noise from inside the engine, and then the bike wouldn't start. After I let it sit for a while, I primed it, and after some coaxing it started up and ran fine. This has happened a couple times since, and after I get the bike started, it runs fine. The last time, after I heard the loud noise, it wouldn't turn over for a bit, but finally did and has run great ever since.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen or know what it might be? Thanks for any and all responses.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
SOunds to me like the vacuum operated petcock needs a seal kit. Gas with ethanol is really hard on the seals they use in the petcok. The newer replacement kits are better stuff, must be viton or something equivalent. It is an easy thing to fix, hard part is draining the gas in a controlled manner. For this I recommend riding until you think you about out, then return to home and fix. If you have something very sturdy to to lean the bike onto you can lean it far over to the right and pull the petcock assembly out without losing more than a couple spoons full of fuel. You need part # 43049 ($6.35), and 43058($5.47) and 92058($6.35)or you could opt to just buy a replacement petcock assy for $72.00!
There also is a vent in the cap that could be plugged up, and another vent hose on the right side above the carb that could be pinched closed. I pulled my hose off, ran it along the front frame tube and reconnected all without removing tank. Mine does not do the whistle any longer when sitting in the sun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts