Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've got my '96 Vulcan 800 for about half a year now. I recently fixed my bike, which fell over during a storm and started leaking fuel out of the air box and into the crankcase. I did all the necessary repairs (new floatneedle and jets, changed the oil, repaired some bodywork) but now I noticed it's running great, except when idle. I came to the conclusion that I mistook the pilot screw for something else, and tightened it all the way instead of setting it on the correct height. Is there a way to adjust the pilot screw without taking the whole bike apart, as the carburator is located between the cylinders and the air filter is blocking the access. I figured I can maybe remove the air filter without taking everything apart (manual says to remove the tank first), but would that leave enough room to access the pilot screw?
I figured that setting it at the correct height would require the bike running, so there must be a way to do this without taking it apart completely. Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
yeah you can use the K&L carb adjusting tool that Yamaha sells. It fits in there but the tank and airbox need to be off. About 3 turns out from lightly seated is pretty close. If the screw was "tightened" much more than lightly seated, there is a chance that the pilot screw and/or carburetor are damaged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cookie Monster,

Thank you for the reply, but I have already fixed it, just before a week of nice weather and social distancing :).
I managed to loosen the air filter just enough to pull it to the side and could just reach the screw with a 90 degree screwdriver that my dad had. The screw was lightly seated, as I knew using too much force on jets and screws on the carb it would damage something.
It's running great now! Also polished up the chromes real nice so i'm basically riding a mirror this week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts