Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Vulcan 800 to make a old style bobber get around scooter out of. I see they are the choice bike and I prefer the look over anything else I have seen stripped down. I have a few questions. Like how many miles are these engines good for before needing any work like top end,cranks,trans problems? Will this bike be revving hard at 70 MPH or will it be an around town 60 MPH ride. Basically will it be fun to ride,as I have never ridden one before. I hear some people say that the 800 when jetted right with minor mods it will lift the front wheel. Is this true?? Can I get high compression pistons for it?? HD Clutches? Most people that are selling stock type 800 Vulcans seem to be asking over retail pricing for them..I just want to buy one for what it books for on NADA.. I dont want to insult anybody with a lowball offer but prices I am seeing are 96 Vulcan 800, pipes,hypercharger 27k miles 2900 firm!!! Book is 1400.00 If I asked 6000.00 for my 02 GSXR 1000 I would be laughed at. Let me know as I am ready to get a bike to work on. Thank You all in advance. You guys have already helped me tons with my direction.

·
Moto Mez
991 Posts
The 800 is great. I have two of them. They are fine on the highway as well as around town. People will probably tell you that it is more of an around the town bike especially if you are gonna chop on it. They are strong motors too. Just a little mods and you will outrun most big twin bikes. It won't ever keep up with a sport bike but my uncle's bike ran a 13.5. Probably the only thing you will have to do is change valve shims over time. I have about 40k on my bike and never had any trouble out of it. My uncle's first 800 had 70K. If you take care of them these motors will last. Hope this helps.

·
USE BATH SALTS
298 Posts
+1. changing the stock gearing will help a lot too. they are geared a bit lower from the factory. new sprockets and you'll be highway cruisin with no worries. i love my 800. i mena its silly how much i love that bike. and loosing weight during the choppin process helps out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got a VN800A in September and will gradually be making it more bobberish as time. I added the Cobra slash-cut pipes recently and wear ear plugs when riding. When you get your bike, keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

Well to hear that 70k on an 800 engine is definitely reassuring. I like to hear that. I am also glad to hear that they will run with a big twin as that is what I am currently riding. I definitely enjoy doing engine work and look forward to building a quick scooter that handles well so I can buzz thru traffic. I am really leaning toward the classic model because it has the fatty front tire and thats the look I am going for with some fatty whitewalls and oversize front and rear with a straight drag bar and maybe a tan aged style leather seat, I have always loved the way black and chrome go together so I may go that route. I was working on a trade for a basketcase bike that I know ran well until the doofus that bought it crashed it on the test ride. Shes a little scuffed and a little rusty but I am keepin my fingers crossed. I hope the deal pans out cuz its already tore down and I can go ahead and get everything shaved and powdercoated before I build it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks EJ and Alley Rat

I looked thru my J and P Harley catalog for that air filter and I know I have seen it somewhere but cant locate it anywhere. I appreciate the mileage reports as well. My search for a decent deal has been harder than expected as I live on the coast all of the used units are salt beaten and overpriced due to our good weather. It seems as if I may be going to Tennessee or Virginia to get a good price. Maybe Ohio. I did find some extremely low miles like new classics for around 4 grand.. ouch!! Guys tell me how a man owns a bike like this for 5 yrs and only puts 2 k miles on it??? I sure do appreciate it when its time to buy a used one though!! I found a new drifter cant remember the price though but I really want the drum rear brake as it looks more classy.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hey MC, if your interested and want to come to maryland, I got a 2000 vn800b classic with 19500 miles i'll let go for 2500. It's in GOOD shape,garage kept, cobra pipes, mustang seat , progressive fork springs and rear shock, windsheild, sissybar and pad, newer chains and sprockets, good tires. The carb has been jetted and air cleaner grampsized. Runs great but I bought a HD and never find the time to ride both and I can use the room in my shop. You or anyone else interested, PM me.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.