Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the stock covers on my 800 with chrome ones and I installed the left cover in 10 seconds but does anyone know the proper way to remove the key lock assembly from the stock cover to install in the replacment cover? There are no instructions with my new covers and I don't want to break or damage anything.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Take the cover off, and there will be a thin nut surrounding the lock mechanism. Just unscrew it to remove the lock. It may be stuck. I put glue on mine to keep the nut from backing out on its own.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the cover off, and there will be a thin nut surrounding the lock mechanism. Just unscrew it to remove the lock. It may be stuck. I put glue on mine to keep the nut from backing out on its own.
Oh, okay. Didn't notice that last night when I was looking at in the garage. Didn't have the best light late at night. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the covers installed today. Looks pretty darn nice...all that chrome now.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Nice!

Mine has those plasti-chrome covers too. I also have a chromed cover for the toolkit compartment on the left side. Although, I really like the driver & passenger floorboards on yours!

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
BTW...you might want to put a small dab of silicon glue on the threads of the locks on your right cover and toolkit. It will keep that nut from loosening from the locking mechanism. I almost lost my toolkit that way.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. Its too bad that installing the rear floorboards negates ever using the toolkit compartment again. But, my wife loves the boards over the pegs so there's no going back. I moved my toolkit into the spot behind the right side cover.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
I was wondering about that, from the picture it looks like the boards block the toolkit compartment from opening. That sux! But I do like the floorboards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts