Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a vulcan 800 it a 1996 this is a plug with three wires going to it one is a red wire with to white dots a black wire with yellow strip and a blue with red strip . the red looks like it goes to both coils and the black and yellow is a ground and the blue with red i dont no.

View attachment 33879

Attachments

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The BLACK with YELLOW stripe is usually a ground circuit,the BLUE with RED stripe is usually a brake light circuit(sometimes just BLUE).

As for RED with WHITE dots, that's a mystery to me.

I'd check the brake light circuit,as some bikes(maybe most of them)have a switch that turns on the brake lights when the right handlebar lever is squeezed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thank. dose any one know how to hot wire the MAGNETIC SWITCH that comes of the battiey then goes to the start motor the three wire going to it what do i need to do with them i am take the start button off the bars and want to hint a buttom some where under my seat pan

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
The magnetic switch(or otherwise known as the starter solenoid) usually has two smaller wires for the energizing coil and two heavier wires(actually cables)one from the positive side of the battery and one going to the starter motor.

Some newer bikes have a fuse in the starter solenoid coil circuit as a protection devise.This might be what the third wire does(fuse).

If you have any friends who you can trust to extend your wiring, make sure they have a wiring diagram and do safe work, as having a splice come loose or worse yet an electrical fire miles from no-where is not something I'd like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts