Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Muddling around.
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding my vulcan all january and into feb now. In Utah. It's mighty cold but snow pants help as well as melt on tail pipes.
Noticed yesterday that my left (if sitting on the bike) front fork had oil leaking and you could see how far the fork had compressed by the boarder of the oil.
Anyone have any advice on this sort of maintenance? I assume it's a seal that's gone bad, but i'm not familiar with this job.
I have access to a bike lift, but money is tight.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Been riding my vulcan all january and into feb now. In Utah. It's mighty cold but snow pants help as well as melt on tail pipes.
Noticed yesterday that my left (if sitting on the bike) front fork had oil leaking and you could see how far the fork had compressed by the boarder of the oil.
Anyone have any advice on this sort of maintenance? I assume it's a seal that's gone bad, but i'm not familiar with this job.
I have access to a bike lift, but money is tight.
It might need new seals and bushings to.

Order the parts, not from a dealer is cheapest, try craigslist or ebay or a wholesaler if possible, if not then you have to over pay at a dealer.

Then try BTK this forums place, as they seem to offer some pretty good deals, and do it yourself.
Replace the oil while you have them apart, as it gets contaminated to.

Its a very common thing to have fork seals leak, and is no big deal to fix.

·
Muddling around.
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that link and info.
how do i know if my bushings go bad? mind you, i've never taken apart my forks before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts