Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just purchased a used 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 88 from a local dealer. 15k, great shape, clean, floorboards, windshield, bags, new rubber, etc. All for $1995 :biggrin: . They didn't even know what they had until they finalized the deal and put plates on it. They were selling it as a 1995 VN800. When I told the salesman that we just bought a 1500cc bike he was dumfounded.Anyway, as his Dad, Ive been reading up on the model. It appears he got a pretty good deal here, I happen to think the bike is pretty sharp looking and NOT a "BUBF". Anyway, I do have some questions. First, the speedometer pin is popped off and sitting in the bottom of the housing (it is easily seen just sitting there), it appears to have just popped off. Question is, can this be fixed? put back on? or does he need a new unit from Kawasaki. I have read that these are sealed units. He had indication to repair speedometer put on his purchase paperwork and he is supposed to return when a tech would be in (he bought on the weekend, no techs working). I'm just guessing that if the unit is not repairable, the dealership will give a hard time on replacement. :lol: Another question, the rear fender has a split in it by the rear tail light unit. I have also read that this is common on this model. My question is does anyone have a quick easy fix, i.e. mud flap, chrome tip, bracket etc. , I don't think either of us is up for replace/paint etc. Especially since it wasn't even noticed until he had the bike a couple of days. Lastly, there seems to be some stuff hanging down from the bike near the rear, they look like overflow tubes of some sort or something similar. Does anyone know what they are? should I tie them up? no apparent mechanical issues caused by them as they are. Finally, what are the aftermarket parts available? chrome, leather, etc. I can't find too much.:mad:

Attachments

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dad. It's the quiet time of year regarding mc's so be patient and I'm sure a few guru's here can answer your questions.
BTW, congrats on a great find ! There is nothing butt ugly about that bike.
How many miles on her ?
Regarding the tubes that are hanging down, they are probably radiator and gas overflow's to name two, and if they are that, I would leave them alone and not tie them up.
Anyway, congratulate your son on his new purchase, and like I said, some of the "smarter' tech people or some 95 1500 owners will surely chime in.
Best of luck. ;)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,948 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you got a deal.

At least one of those hoses would be the battery compartment overflow drain, so I wouldn't worry about it unless it's become disconnected up top, and that's causing it to hang excessively low. If that's the case, just reconnect it, and you'll be good.

·
BUBF no more
18 Posts
These bikes can look pretty good with a little work and imagination. I have a 96 (A10) with 3,500 miles (not a typo). Mine's pretty stripped down with just the estentials. I recommend a corbin gunfighter seat (expensive but well worth it), and do the "ear shave". Not a whole lot out there for parts so you really have to look or adapt what's available. These bikes have a plastic oil gear that has been known to fail. If this happens repair costs can be high. Search this site for POG to get some history and suggestions for repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These bikes can look pretty good with a little work and imagination. I have a 96 (A10) with 3,500 miles (not a typo). Mine's pretty stripped down with just the estentials. I recommend a corbin gunfighter seat (expensive but well worth it), and do the "ear shave". Not a whole lot out there for parts so you really have to look or adapt what's available. These bikes have a plastic oil gear that has been known to fail. If this happens repair costs can be high. Search this site for POG to get some history and suggestions for repair.
I got a 97 1500a. Would a vn700 exhaust fit mine? Im looking to make a dual exhaust setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.