Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a VN1500-A5 1990 US model.
My fuel tap is leaking and there does not seem to be screws I can remove to dismantle it so as to replace a seal or whatever is required.
Does anyone know if this part is disassembled and repaired??????
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Not familiar with your bike but I have yet to see a fuel tap that cannot be taken apart. Can you post some pictures of the front and back of the fuel tap?

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Great photos and a mystery as to how it comes apart. Maybe the front face and lever simply unscrew from the main body??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies,
as you say maybe the back spigot rotates or pulls out to reveal a release screw?????????

Tool Auto part Nickel Fashion accessory Font

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Looks like a simple on/off valve, replace with Pingel or other on/off valve??"

Would actually require two valves, one for On, one for Reserve.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is one strange setup... Since it's separate from the tank and has 2 inlets, 1 outlet, you have options. you just need a 2 inlet, one outlet fuel valve. Check with the light plane people

Maybe this one, make a plate for mounting it. Fuel Flow Valve Twin Tank | Aircraft Spruce

Function would be no different than their wing tank switching valves. Worth a try anyway

Edit: Some zero turn mowers have dual tanks also, as do boats, but the marine ones may be big as with a lot of boats, it's GPM (Gallons per mile)

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
Or, he could just buy an OEM fuel tap from Kawasaki. They are still available.

But I think he was really hoping to rebuild this one, leading to the key question: How the heck do you take it apart?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I believe there may be a snap ring or something under the selector switch lever. I'd try removing the switching lever to find out, if it breaks, well, the assembly is already broken, not much to lose.

Kawasaki in the states doesn't seem to list them any more, there are 4 on Ebay, at least one of them new, thinking I'd grab it... oe number 51023-1136 replaced by 51023-1365, now appears
discontinued.

Just get a Y hose barb, hook them both to an inline shut-off. In Line Fuel Valve | Aircraft Spruce

Or two shutoffs if you want reserve and the Y after the shutoffs.

Edit: Or something from Summit Racing: Motion Pro Fuel Valves - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Most seem to be for 1/4" hose, may have to look for something larger

nice but expensive: .https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Peterson-Fluid-Systems-09-0960-In-Line-Fuel-Shut-Off-Valve-12ANx-12AN,104557.html?sku=91011718

·
Registered
22 Posts
"buy an OEM fuel tap from Kawasaki. They are still available."
$103

OR

Fuel Flow Valve Twin Tank
$8.50 + fashion a mounting bracket.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, what diameter fuel hose do the older 1500's use? I see these we ref'd are for 1/4" ID and one had 5/16" I'm wondering if the commercial zero-turn mowers might use a larger size and a lot of them have dual fuel tanks,,, something else to look in to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Metric bike so the tube will be a mm measurement. Many are 8mm I think that is between 1/4 and 5/8 inch. I looked on Partzilla and it didn't list the size.

·
Super Moderator
2,886 Posts
I think you mean between 1/4 and 5/16. 8 mm is 0.315" and 5/16" is 0.313" so close that you won't notice the difference.
But check your size first. Kawi has used some oddball metric size like 5mm and 7mm. Ugh. Almost impossible to source.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts